Manchester United's Argentina First-Choice GK Ruled Out Of World Cup With Knee InjuryPublished: May 22, 2018
Manchester United's Argentina international goalkeeper Sergio Romero will not be in goal when the two-time world champions face Nigeria at the Krestovsky Stadium, Saint Petersburg on June 26.
The Argentine Football Association has confirmed that Romero injured his right knee and will not be one of the 23 players going to Russia for what would have been his third World Cup.
The 31-year-old suffered a knee injury in Argentina's 6-1 loss to Spain in March, he stayed out of action until May 13 when he was chosen by Mourinho to be in goal vs Watford on the final day of the Premier League season.
''Sergio Romero suffered today a joint blockage in his right knee that will leave him out of the squad,'' Argentina Football Association tweeted.
The former Racing Club star has faced Nigeria three times in his senior career, posting a shutout at the 2010 World Cup, conceded once in a friendly in 2011, and let in two goals in Brazil 2014.
Chelsea star Willy Caballero and Franco Armani of Club Atlético River Plate are the two goalkeepers left in Argentina's World Cup squad but manager Jorge Sampaoli will name a replacement for Romero in the coming days.
Photo Credit : afa.com.ar
Football News 24/7
- Chelsea Star Fàbregas Blasts Argentina After Loss: They Were Playing Against Each Other
- Rohr Expects 20,000 Iceland Fans In Volgograd Stadium BUT He Got His Figures Wrong
- Rohr : Mikel & Moses Are The Star Players In Super Eagles, Others Stars Of The Future
- Iceland Coach: Super Eagles Massively Good Team; Have Players In EPL, La Liga, Serie A
- Set-Piece Troubles : Iceland Coach Names Two Super Eagles Stars Who Are Extremely Good In The Air
- Ex-World Cup Star Justice Christopher : Judge Eagles Team On Its Strengths Not Weaknesses
- Five Bold Predictions Ahead Of Nigeria Vs Iceland Game
- Nigeria Must Improve Against Iceland & Silence Critics After Poor Ratings
- Arsene Wenger Gives Two Reasons Why Nigeria Cannot Win The World Cup Now
- Victor Moses Wants Super Eagles To Score Early Goal To Unsettle Iceland
- African Players Transfers
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Brazil 2014 World Cup
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football