Obi Mikel Takes A Swipe At England Boss Southgate For Parking The Bus Against NigeriaPublished: June 03, 2018
Former Chelsea ace John Obi Mikel took a swipe at England boss Gareth Southgate in the wake of the Super Eagles 2-1 loss to the Three Lions on Saturday, saying he employed negative tactics.
Southgate deployed a 3-5-2 formation against Nigeria, with Gary Cahill, John Stones and Kyle Walker the central defenders, while Ashley Young and Kieran Trippier were the wing-backs.
''We played against a team with five in the back. They always have an extra man,'' Obi Mikel told reporters in the mixed-zone.
''How do you play against a team with five in the back? It is always difficult but I think in the second half we played with five in the back as well to try and match them and that's what we did.
''We played much better, we created chances and we scored the goal. We know we can play better, we have to be playing this way.
''We need to be together, we need to be strong as a team.''
Gary Cahill thumped in a header to give the hosts the lead after six minutes, captain Kane doubled the advantage on 39 minutes, before Alex Iwobi halved the deficit one minute after the restart.
- Super Falcons ratings: Kanu, Okoronkwo grab headlines; Nnadozie can't be judged; Okwuchukwu one to watch
- Official: MLS club St. Louis City SC exercise 2024 contract option on Nigerian forward
- WAFCONQ: Five takeaways from Super Falcons convincing 5-0 win against Cape Verde
- WAFCONQ Nigeria 5 Cape Verde 0: Kanu and Okoronkwo at the double in Super Falcons convincing win
- Nigeria-eligible winger who trained with Chelsea first team this month nominated for Goal of the Month again
- 'It's a bit annoying' - Fulham CB Bassey reflects on being booked for time-wasting against Arsenal
- 'He comes from the Belgian league' - Bayer chief defends Boniface over his dip in form in Bundesliga
- Super Eagles drop two spots in latest Fifa rankings after draws against Lesotho and Zimbabwe
- 'Shows I'm doing the right things' - Nathan Tella admits selection for Super Eagles has given him confidence
- Napoli coach Walter Mazzarri reveals exactly why Osimhen did not start 4-2 defeat to Real Madrid
Football News 24/7
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football