Nigeria Coach Rohr Refuses To Blame Arsenal's New No. 10 For Germany's World Cup ExitPublished: July 09, 2018
Nigeria coach Gernot Rohr has refused to blame Arsenal playmaker Mesut özil for Germany's ill-fated campaign at the 2018 World Cup, which saw the defending champions knocked out in the group stages.
Germany finished bottom in Group F with three points after losing to Mexico and South Korea.
Many Germans have pointed the finger at Ozil after a disappointing tournament but former Bayern Munich defender Rohr has stressed that one man should not be blamed for the difficult time Die Mannschaft had in Russia.
''Of course not . That one personality has been picked out. But It is a collective responsibility and it is not good to blame one person,'' Rohr said in an interview with German television.
''It is all over and we must look forward. It was all for sure unlucky. They have to communicate. There is one person in the DFB responsible, who could have sorted this out already before it escalated.
''It is not good that they bring this issue all over again. Good maybe he özil has to give a statement but we have to think about the future and he is the only one responsible.''
Ozil was a member of the German squad that won the 2014 World Cup in Brazil and has 16 games under his belt across three tournaments, he went the distance in the two matches Germany lost in Russia.
-Translated by German-based Nigerian journalist Oma Akatugba
Photo Credit : twitter.com/MesutOzil1088
Football News 24/7
- The Best Men's & Women's Coaches : How Rohr & Mikel Voted; Ebi Includes Chelsea Coach In Top Three
- Teenage Nigerian Winger Receives The Highest Praise Possible From Arsenal Legend Ljungberg
- Fifa Best Awards How Nigeria Voted: Rohr Went For Modric, Mikel Chose Messi; Falcons Coach, Captain Disagree
- FIFA Recall Nigeria's 2018 World Cup Appearance In Best Awards Ceremony
- Leicester City's Iheanacho Sings The Praises Of Wolves Manager Ahead Of Carabao Cup Tie
- Arsenal Captain Koscielny Reveals Four Qualities Of Iwobi & Winger's Two Weaknesses
- Nigerian Striker On Target In Shootout As Man Utd Qualify For Premier League National Finals
- Sunderland's Nigeria Target Maja Named In EFL Team Of the Week
- Victor Moses In Contention To Face Liverpool In League Cup As Pedro Misses Training
- Iwobi Gets Good Ratings Despite Playing For 21 Minutes Vs Everton
- African Players Transfers
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Brazil 2014 World Cup
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football