Nigeria Coach Rohr Refuses To Blame Arsenal's New No. 10 For Germany's World Cup ExitPublished: July 09, 2018
Nigeria coach Gernot Rohr has refused to blame Arsenal playmaker Mesut özil for Germany's ill-fated campaign at the 2018 World Cup, which saw the defending champions knocked out in the group stages.
Germany finished bottom in Group F with three points after losing to Mexico and South Korea.
Many Germans have pointed the finger at Ozil after a disappointing tournament but former Bayern Munich defender Rohr has stressed that one man should not be blamed for the difficult time Die Mannschaft had in Russia.
''Of course not . That one personality has been picked out. But It is a collective responsibility and it is not good to blame one person,'' Rohr said in an interview with German television.
''It is all over and we must look forward. It was all for sure unlucky. They have to communicate. There is one person in the DFB responsible, who could have sorted this out already before it escalated.
''It is not good that they bring this issue all over again. Good maybe he özil has to give a statement but we have to think about the future and he is the only one responsible.''
Ozil was a member of the German squad that won the 2014 World Cup in Brazil and has 16 games under his belt across three tournaments, he went the distance in the two matches Germany lost in Russia.
-Translated by German-based Nigerian journalist Oma Akatugba
Photo Credit : twitter.com/MesutOzil1088
- Peseiro's pre-match wish on Lookman comes true: Atalanta striker fires brace in 3-2 win against AC Milan
- FA Youth Cup: Nwaneri scores five goals to inspire Arsenal to 7-1 win against Crewe Alexandra
- Super Eagles watch: Ninth goal involvement for Ndidi; Dessers powerful strike; Ejuke gets his groove back
- 'It looks very nasty' - Michael Owen insists Onyeka was lucky to escape red card against Sheffield United
- 'My parents are proud Nigerians' - Premier League's fastest player reveals he considered playing for Super Eagles
- 'Declan Rice, Grealish chose England over Ireland' - Pundit on the international future of Arsenal striker Obi-Martin
- 'We have Adeleye, Ojo, Sochima' - Peseiro's sidekick urges Super Eagles coach to give chances to invitees
- 'I had an opportunity to get a hat-trick' - Iwobi admits he wanted to stay on against Nottingham Forest
- Nigerian tactician Hassan Sulaiman leads Chelsea into fourth round of FA Youth Cup
- 'Martial is a waste of space' - Ex-Chelsea star urges Man Utd to sign Boniface when 25 percent stake is sold
Football News 24/7
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football