English Premier League Wrap: Latest On Twelve Nigerian PlayersPublished: August 18, 2018
A round-up of Nigerian players that were in action for their respective clubs in the English Premier League on Saturday, August 18th.
Nigerian players with dual nationalities and have played competitively for the senior national teams of other countries have been omitted.
At Goodison Park, England U21 star Ademola Lookman made Everton's match day squad against Southampton after he was left out of the 18 last weekend at Wolverhampton Wanderers, but was a non-playing sub.
The Toffees secured three points following their 2-1 win. Theo Walcott and Richarlison with first-half goals for the home team,while ex-Liverpool man Danny Ings pulled a goal back eight minutes after the restart.
Over to Wembley Stadium in another 3 pm kickoff, Luke Amos was not considered by manager Pochettino in a London derby vs Fulham, a week after making his competitive debut.
Fit-again Josh Onomah and Timothy Eyoma, who played for the U23s on Friday, were not selected for this one.
Lucas Moura opened the scoring for Spurs in the 43rd minute, Aleksandar Mitrovic leveled the tie in the 52nd minute, before two quick-fire goals from two returning England heroes, Kieran Trippier and Harry Kane secured the three points.
At the King Power Stadium, Leicester City got back to winning ways by beating Bright Enobakhare's Wolverhampton Wanderers 2-0, thanks to an own goal from Matt Doherty and James Maddison's strike. The Wolves starlet was not in the traveling party to LE2 7FL.
Super Eagles midfielder Wilfred Ndidi put in a full shift for the Foxes and was joined on the pitch by Kelechi Iheanacho in the 82nd minute.
Bournemouth have had a fantastic start to the new Premier League season after coming from behind to beat West Ham 2-1 at the London Stadium.
Marko Arnautovic gave the Hammers a first-half lead, Callum Wilson equalized on the hour mark and Steve Cook netted the winner in the 66th minute.
The Cherries number ten Jordon Ibe watched proceedings from the bench for the entirety of the game; Nnamdi Ofoborh has to wait for his senior debut after he was left out of the match day squad.
In the late kickoff at Stamford Bridge, Alex Iwobi makes his first start of the season for Arsenal, his 99th game in a Gunners shirt. Victor Moses is on the bench for Chelsea, while Tammy Abraham misses out.
Photo Credit : chelseafc.com
- Super Falcons ratings: Kanu, Okoronkwo grab headlines; Nnadozie can't be judged; Okwuchukwu one to watch
- Official: MLS club St. Louis City SC exercise 2024 contract option on Nigerian forward
- WAFCONQ: Five takeaways from Super Falcons convincing 5-0 win against Cape Verde
- WAFCONQ Nigeria 5 Cape Verde 0: Kanu and Okoronkwo at the double in Super Falcons convincing win
- Nigeria-eligible winger who trained with Chelsea first team this month nominated for Goal of the Month again
- 'It's a bit annoying' - Fulham CB Bassey reflects on being booked for time-wasting against Arsenal
- 'He comes from the Belgian league' - Bayer chief defends Boniface over his dip in form in Bundesliga
- Super Eagles drop two spots in latest Fifa rankings after draws against Lesotho and Zimbabwe
- 'Shows I'm doing the right things' - Nathan Tella admits selection for Super Eagles has given him confidence
- Napoli coach Walter Mazzarri reveals exactly why Osimhen did not start 4-2 defeat to Real Madrid
Football News 24/7
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football