Fifa Best Awards How Nigeria Voted: Rohr Went For Modric, Mikel Chose Messi; Falcons Coach, Captain DisagreePublished: September 24, 2018
Luka Modric has won FIFA's The Best award after helping Real Madrid to win the Champions League and playing a key role for Croatia at the 2018 World Cup.
In the voting by national team coaches, captains and media, Modric earned 29.05 percent of the votes, Ronaldo finished second with 19.08 percent and third-placed Mohamed Salah received 11.23 percent.
Super Eagles manager Gernot Rohr voted for Luka Modric to win the award, Kylian Mbappé was his second choice and Eden Hazard third.
As for Mikel, the Super Eagles captain opted for Lionel Messi, with Kylian Mbappé and Luka Modric coming second and third respectively.
Nigeria's media representative, Okpara Christian, went for Cristiano Ronaldo, Eden Hazard, Luka Modric in that order.
Brazilian Marta was named the FIFA women’s player of the year for the sixth time, beating Maroszán Dzsenifer (Germany) and Ada Hegerberg (Norway) to the accolade.
Super Falcons captain Onome Ebi voted for Maroszán Dzsenifer (first), Kerr Sam (second) and Ada Hegerberg (third) while coach Thomas Dennerby picked Henry Amandine, Harder Pernille and Kerr Sam as his first, second and third choice respectively.
Nigeria's media representative selected Rapinoe Megan, Renard Wendie and Marta.
Football News 24/7
- Substitution that raised eyebrows : Palace coach explains why Eze was taken off at half-time vs Tottenham
- Almeria's Sadiq, Racing Genk's Onuachu score again for European clubs
- Osimhen marks return from injury with brilliant counter-attack goal in Napoli's win vs Bologna
- Ex-Palace striker baffled by Hodgson's decision to substitute Eze at half-time vs Tottenham Hotspur
- Super Eagles duo Balogun, Aribo React As Rangers are crowned champions after Celtic fail to win
- Crotone's Super Eagles striker hits double figures in Serie A for the first time after brace vs Torino
- Ex-Chelsea captain on what pleased him about Tosin's performance in Fulham's win vs Liverpool
- Liverpool hero McManaman reveals how Fulham striker Maja caused problems for the Reds defence
- Chelsea release promising Nigerian midfielder ahead of 2021-2022 season
- Super Eagles striker Osimhen named in Napoli's 24-man provisional squad to face Bologna
- African Players Transfers
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football