Talented Nigerian Midfielder Uwakwe Opens His 2018-19 Account For ChelseaPublished: October 21, 2018
Promising Nigerian midfielder Tariq Uwakwe opened his goalscoring account for the 2018-2019 campaign in Chelsea's comprehensive 4-1 win over Manchester City in a Premier League 2 fixture at the Academy Stadium on Saturday.
Uwakwe started on the bench before replacing Daishawn Redan in the 62nd minute and he wasn't the only player of Nigerian descent on parade as Nathanael Ogbeta and Tom Dele-Bashiru were both in action for City.
Just when it appeared the first half will end scoreless, George McEachran smashed home a half-volley to give Chelsea the lead in the 43rd minute before Charlie Brown fired in from close range to double the lead on 74 minutes.
With12 minutes remaining, it became 3-0 thanks to Uwakwe, who rose highest to head in at the back-post before providing an assist for the fourth goal scored by Familio-Castillo.
Prior to yesterday's fixture, Uwakwe last scored for Chelsea youth teams against Birmingham City in the FA Youth Cup in April 2018.
The 18-year-old was a member of the England team that won the 2017 Toulon Tournament by beating Ivory Coast in the final.
Photo Credit : chelseafc.com
- Super Falcons ratings: Kanu, Okoronkwo grab headlines; Nnadozie can't be judged; Okwuchukwu one to watch
- Official: MLS club St. Louis City SC exercise 2024 contract option on Nigerian forward
- WAFCONQ: Five takeaways from Super Falcons convincing 5-0 win against Cape Verde
- WAFCONQ Nigeria 5 Cape Verde 0: Kanu and Okoronkwo at the double in Super Falcons convincing win
- Nigeria-eligible winger who trained with Chelsea first team this month nominated for Goal of the Month again
- 'It's a bit annoying' - Fulham CB Bassey reflects on being booked for time-wasting against Arsenal
- 'He comes from the Belgian league' - Bayer chief defends Boniface over his dip in form in Bundesliga
- Super Eagles drop two spots in latest Fifa rankings after draws against Lesotho and Zimbabwe
- 'Shows I'm doing the right things' - Nathan Tella admits selection for Super Eagles has given him confidence
- Napoli coach Walter Mazzarri reveals exactly why Osimhen did not start 4-2 defeat to Real Madrid
Football News 24/7
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football