Arsenal's Iwobi Targeting Babayaro's Premier League Assist Record Against Leicester CityPublished: October 22, 2018
It is all but confirmed that Super Eagles star Alex Iwobi will suit up for Arsenal when they tackle Leicester City in the Premier League tonight at the Emirates Stadium.
The Hale End Academy product was officially credited with his 11th Premier League assist in the Gunners 3-1 win over West Ham when he set up Nacho Monreal's 30th minute strike, making him the eighth top Nigerian in the all-time list, along with his uncle Jay Jay Okocha.
Next in Iwobi's sights is to target the Premier League assists record of ex-Chelsea left back Celestine Babayaro, Victor Anichebe and Peter Odemwingie, who tallied 13 assists each, and he can match that record if he provides two assists against the Foxes.
Of the twelve top Nigerians with the highest assists in the Premier League, only three are still active in the topflight : Victor Moses (Chelsea), Alex Iwobi (Arsenal) and Kelechi Iheanacho (Leicester City).
The Nigerian Premier League assists record is held by Nwankwo Kanu with the Arsenal legend creating 29 goals, three more than Yakubu Aiyegbeni.
Iwobi was the Nigerian player with the most assists last season, five in total, he set up three goals in the 2016-17 campaign and two in the 2015-16 season.
- Super Falcons ratings: Kanu, Okoronkwo grab headlines; Nnadozie can't be judged; Okwuchukwu one to watch
- Official: MLS club St. Louis City SC exercise 2024 contract option on Nigerian forward
- WAFCONQ: Five takeaways from Super Falcons convincing 5-0 win against Cape Verde
- WAFCONQ Nigeria 5 Cape Verde 0: Kanu and Okoronkwo at the double in Super Falcons convincing win
- Nigeria-eligible winger who trained with Chelsea first team this month nominated for Goal of the Month again
- 'It's a bit annoying' - Fulham CB Bassey reflects on being booked for time-wasting against Arsenal
- 'He comes from the Belgian league' - Bayer chief defends Boniface over his dip in form in Bundesliga
- Super Eagles drop two spots in latest Fifa rankings after draws against Lesotho and Zimbabwe
- 'Shows I'm doing the right things' - Nathan Tella admits selection for Super Eagles has given him confidence
- Napoli coach Walter Mazzarri reveals exactly why Osimhen did not start 4-2 defeat to Real Madrid
Football News 24/7
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football