Rohr Anoints Iwobi As Heir To Mikel, Subtly Criticizes Super Eagles CaptainPublished: October 25, 2018
Super Eagles coach Gernot Rohr has anointed Alex Iwobi as heir to Obi Mikel following the eye-catching performance from the Arsenal star in the Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers against Libya this month.
The German football tactician has subtly criticized the Super Eagles captain, saying that Iwobi is quick with the ball and has better movement.
Against the Mediterranean Knights, the Hale End Academy product was involved in the buildup to two of the seven goals netted by the Super Eagles.
''Now he has done it again in the two matches against Libya doing very, very well in that position where he delivered wonderful decisive pass that resulted in one of the goals,'' Rohr said to Sporting Life Nigeria.
''Alex is now trying to be a real playmaker for the Eagles. I have seen enough from him now to know he is a new possibility for that creative midfield position.''
Rohr continued : ''Perhaps Obi Mikel will come back. Mikel can be our playmaker also with a different style but with Alex (Iwobi) we have a lot of movement.
''Right now we have Alex who is very quick with the ball and has the talent of releasing on time the Eagles’ fast wing attackers most especially the point man to score goals for us. I think Alex is a joy to be at the center of our games''.
Prior to the matches against Libya, Rohr had deployed Iwobi everywhere in attack, from a right winger to left winger and even as a center forward.
Football News 24/7
- Delta State Governor appoints ex-Super Eagles star Sodje Special Assistant on Sports
- Former Man Utd striker Ighalo continues his white-hot form; Hammarby's Amoo on target too
- Victor Osimhen scores for the third game in a row as Napoli thrash Sampdoria
- Penalty not given : Genk hitman Onuachu not happy about referee's 'big boy' comments
- 'Onyeka was playing vs Liverpool last season' - Pundit on Brentford's project in debut EPL campaign
- EPL pundit challenges Watford's Dennis to maintain consistency across course of the season
- Ferguson convinced Glasgow Rangers' Super Eagles star has suitors in England
- Leicester City assistant coach praises Ndidi for part he played in Iheanacho's goal vs Millwall
- Iheanacho on his goal vs Millwall, why he didn't pass to Daka, part played in Lookman's strike
- Nigerian exports : Onuachu brace; Kalu's goal salvages draw for Bordeaux; Apollon's Dauda strikes
- African Players Transfers
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football