Iwobi, Kelechi Nwakali, Other Nigerian Stars At Arsenal To Get New Contract Policy
Published: October 28, 2018
Nigeria forward Alex Iwobi and youth players at the club born of Nigerian descent like Arthur Okonkwo, Tobi Omole, Xavier Amaechi, Joseph Olowu, Kelechi Nwakali (former Nigeria U-20 captain) and Tolaji Bola can hope to extend their Arsenal contracts midway and not wait until the last minutes of the deals.
Iwobi signed an improved contract this summer which takes his stint with the Gunners to 2023.
Now Arsenal hope to end their hitherto uneasy habit of allowing their star players run down their contracts.
Former Barcelona football chief Raul Sanllehi, who is now in charge of a similar role in north London following the departure of chief executive Ivan Gazidis last month, said a player's contract "should never go the last year, as a policy".
Arsenal are likely to lose Aaron Ramsey in similar circumstances after his offer of a new deal was withdrawn.
"In general, I do believe that a player's contract should never go to the last year, as a policy," said Sanllehi in an interview with the Sunday Telegraph.
"But I don't think I am inventing the wheel. Anybody could agree on that. Normally, the contracts of the players are for five years. You need to have a clear idea of what you want to do with that player when he is in the third year, at the latest."
Arsenal's wage bill is increasing and the club was not willing to give Ramsey the pay rise he was seeking.
Sanllehi added: "We don't take decisions overnight, on a quick reflection. We really go through not only a long period of thinking but also a lot of people are involved.
"People in which we have a high trust. In general I would like to make that point clear. There are no decisions that are left to the last minute. When we reach a decision, it is for a reason."
Iwobi signed an improved contract this summer which takes his stint with the Gunners to 2023.
Now Arsenal hope to end their hitherto uneasy habit of allowing their star players run down their contracts.
Former Barcelona football chief Raul Sanllehi, who is now in charge of a similar role in north London following the departure of chief executive Ivan Gazidis last month, said a player's contract "should never go the last year, as a policy".
Arsenal last year allowed star players Mesut Ozil and Alexis Sanchez to enter the final six months of their contracts just as they did with Robin van Persie.
The Gunners would later shatter their wage structure to hand Ozil a new contract worth £350,000-a-week, while Sanchez joined Manchester United in January.
Arsenal are likely to lose Aaron Ramsey in similar circumstances after his offer of a new deal was withdrawn.
"In general, I do believe that a player's contract should never go to the last year, as a policy," said Sanllehi in an interview with the Sunday Telegraph.
"But I don't think I am inventing the wheel. Anybody could agree on that. Normally, the contracts of the players are for five years. You need to have a clear idea of what you want to do with that player when he is in the third year, at the latest."
Arsenal's wage bill is increasing and the club was not willing to give Ramsey the pay rise he was seeking.
Sanllehi added: "We don't take decisions overnight, on a quick reflection. We really go through not only a long period of thinking but also a lot of people are involved.
"People in which we have a high trust. In general I would like to make that point clear. There are no decisions that are left to the last minute. When we reach a decision, it is for a reason."
Izuchukwu Okosi
Photo Credit : arsenal.com
Latest News
- Galatasaray equal two club records as Osimhen delivers in Rizespor clash
- Tough day for Crystal Palace loanee: Goodman sent off in milestone 100th senior game
- 'Great delivery' – Ex-Leeds forward hails Onyeka for assist in Brentford's loss to Sunderland
- Nigeria-eligible defender scores on Werder Bremen debut two days after joining from Leeds
- Not just Chukwueze and Otele: Fulham add another Nigerian to winger shortlist
- 'An exciting player' – Former PL defender urges Chelsea to keep George after Delap's injury
- Man Utd legend blames Bassey and another Fulham player for Chelsea's first home goal of season
- Real Sociedad striker Sadiq pushes for Valencia loan move after Super Eagles omission
- 'Iwobi is the star man' – Sky Sports journalist backs Fulham ace to play key role v Chelsea
- New rival for Ola Aina as Nottingham Forest confirm signing of Juventus right-back


News Categories
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Bundesliga
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Casinos not on Gamstop
- Nigeria Premier League
- Vsbet
- F168
- F168
- MB88
- keo nha cai
- Norwegian Football
- Football Betting
- Polish Football
- VT88
- VT88
- sunwin
- sunwin
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Transfer
- Turkish Championship
- 1Win
- Ukrainian Football
- Uncategorized
- Women's Football
- SHBET
- F168
- F168
- F168
- F168
- hi88