EFL Cup Wrap: Iwobi Subbed In; Tomori Scores OG; Eyoma Makes Spurs 18; Delfouneso Goal Disallowed; Moses MissingPublished: October 31, 2018
Round up on the Nigerian players that were in League Cup action on Wednesday, October 31.
Note that players who are cap-tied to other nations and youth-team players have not been listed in this report.
Chelsea are through to the quarterfinals after beating Derby County 3-2 at Stamford Bridge. Italian manager Maurizio Sarri made a move no one saw coming by omitting Victor Moses from the match day squad.
The Blues led in the fifth minute when Fikayo Tomori pushed Davide Zappacosta's low cross into his own net but Jack Marriott equalized to bring the score to 1 - 1 on nine minutes.
Chelsea were back in front after Richard Keogh scored an unfortunate own goal in the 21st minute but the visitors were back on level terms thanks to a goal from Martyn Waghorn.
Four minutes before the interval, Cesc Fabregas scored what proved to be the winner when he latched onto a loose ball in the area and fired past goalkeeper Scott Carson.
Chelsea loanee Tomori went the distance in his eighteenth successive game for the Rams in all competitions.
Over to the Emirates Stadium, Nigeria international Alex Iwobi played the last 17 minutes of Arsenal's 2-1 win against Nathan Delfouneso's Blackpool.
The Gunners led 2-0 after 50 minutes courtesy of goals from Stephan Lichtsteiner and Emile Smith-Rowe before Paudie O'Connor halved the deficit in the 66th minute.
Delfouneso tapped into an empty net in the 69th minute after Petr Cech had been caught out in possession, but he was flagged for offside. The striker played ninety minutes.
At the London Stadium, teenage central defender Timothy Eyoma was included in Tottenham Hotspur's match day squad for the first time in his career but did not come off the bench in his team's 3-1 win against West Ham.
Spurs went through to the quarterfinals after goals from Son Heung-min (2) and Fernando Llorente.
The Hammers thought they were back in it after ex-Arsenal man Lucas Perez made it 2-1 in the 71st minute.
Midfielder Luke Amos is out for the season and was not involved in the London derby.
Photo Credit : dcfc.co.uk
- Muscle tear injury: Chelsea midfielder Ugochukwu will not show off to dad at Old Trafford
- 'I've had many African players Yobo and Yakubu' - West Ham boss on being without some players during AFCON
- Tottenham vs West Ham prediction: Can West Ham upset Tottenham's top-four ambitions?
- Fabrizio Romano not convinced Chelsea target Osimhen is close to signing a new deal with Napoli
- Bundesliga transfer expert confirms Nigerian striker will sign a contract with Eintracht Frankfurt until 2028
- 'We're losing a lot of players' - Nottingham Forest boss aware Aina, 5 others could be heading to the AFCON
- Nigerian goalkeeper Arthur Okonkwo temporarily returns to parent club Arsenal
- FA Youth Cup: Two players of Nigerian descent on target for Tottenham Hotspur in win against Brentford
- German manager reveals Eintracht Frankfurt offered N17.3b to sign Gift Orban in the summer
- Confirmed team news: Three Super Eagles-eligible players ruled out of Manchester United v Chelsea
Football News 24/7
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football