Rohr Names The Two Most Important Players Super Eagles Will Miss Against South AfricaPublished: November 15, 2018
Nigeria manager Gernot Rohr will not be able to call upon injured trio Abdullahi Shehu, goalkeeper Francis Uzoho and Odion Ighalo when his side lock horns with South Africa on Saturday in an Africa Cup of Nations qualifier.
In addition to the three players on the sidelines, captain Obi Mikel has asked to be left out of the squad until further notice and Leicester City midfielder Wilfred Ndidi picked up a silly booking in the closing minutes against Libya in Sfax, which triggered an automatic one-match ban.
Rohr admitted that the nonavailability of these important players, especially Uzoho and leading scorer in AFCONQ Ighalo, is a big blow to the team.
''It is difficult without three injured players and one suspended one. We are missing Shehu, our right back, Ndidi who is suspended. Our goalkeeper and our goalscorer is injured so it is a lot,'' Rohr told allnigeriasoccer.com.
''We will try with some new players to be able to go to South Africa and have revenge. It is a long time ago, it is one year and a half, that was the first game in Uyo. We don't forget it but it is a different team now.
''We had the experience of the World Cup and I think my young team is able to do well even if we are missing four important players especially the goalkeeper (Uzoho) and the goalscorer (Ighalo).
''I think the training session was good, we are preparing very well for this match.''
Gernot Rohr will attempt to win four straight matches for the first time since his appointment as Nigeria coach when they do battle with South Africa.
- Super Eagles-eligible player helps Chelsea break 113-year-old club record after PL debut
- Global rankings of best take on players : Chukwueze on the same level as Tottenham striker Kane
- Arsenal-owned striker of Nigerian descent makes senior debut for EFL club
- Iheanacho joins Brentford, Brighton, Forest, Fulham, Tottenham, Wolves stars in PL TOTW
- Revealed : Length of new deal signed by Wolverhampton Wanderers' Italian-Nigerian midfielder
- 'Very good player' - Ex-Barcelona CB admits it's difficult to defend against Terem Moffi
- Lookman best-rated player in Serie A Team of the Month but Osimhen misses out
- Where does Osimhen rank among world's best strikers?
- Arsenal loanee Okonkwo makes big statement about his future after impressive debut for Sturm Graz
- Patrick Vieira rues Eze's missed chance in Eagles' loss to Manchester United
Football News 24/7
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Nigeria Betting Sites
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football