Rohr Names The Two Most Important Players Super Eagles Will Miss Against South AfricaPublished: November 15, 2018
Nigeria manager Gernot Rohr will not be able to call upon injured trio Abdullahi Shehu, goalkeeper Francis Uzoho and Odion Ighalo when his side lock horns with South Africa on Saturday in an Africa Cup of Nations qualifier.
In addition to the three players on the sidelines, captain Obi Mikel has asked to be left out of the squad until further notice and Leicester City midfielder Wilfred Ndidi picked up a silly booking in the closing minutes against Libya in Sfax, which triggered an automatic one-match ban.
Rohr admitted that the nonavailability of these important players, especially Uzoho and leading scorer in AFCONQ Ighalo, is a big blow to the team.
''It is difficult without three injured players and one suspended one. We are missing Shehu, our right back, Ndidi who is suspended. Our goalkeeper and our goalscorer is injured so it is a lot,'' Rohr told allnigeriasoccer.com.
''We will try with some new players to be able to go to South Africa and have revenge. It is a long time ago, it is one year and a half, that was the first game in Uyo. We don't forget it but it is a different team now.
''We had the experience of the World Cup and I think my young team is able to do well even if we are missing four important players especially the goalkeeper (Uzoho) and the goalscorer (Ighalo).
''I think the training session was good, we are preparing very well for this match.''
Gernot Rohr will attempt to win four straight matches for the first time since his appointment as Nigeria coach when they do battle with South Africa.
Football News 24/7
- Substitution that raised eyebrows : Palace coach explains why Eze was taken off at half-time vs Tottenham
- Almeria's Sadiq, Racing Genk's Onuachu score again for European clubs
- Osimhen marks return from injury with brilliant counter-attack goal in Napoli's win vs Bologna
- Ex-Palace striker baffled by Hodgson's decision to substitute Eze at half-time vs Tottenham Hotspur
- Super Eagles duo Balogun, Aribo React As Rangers are crowned champions after Celtic fail to win
- Crotone's Super Eagles striker hits double figures in Serie A for the first time after brace vs Torino
- Ex-Chelsea captain on what pleased him about Tosin's performance in Fulham's win vs Liverpool
- Liverpool hero McManaman reveals how Fulham striker Maja caused problems for the Reds defence
- Chelsea release promising Nigerian midfielder ahead of 2021-2022 season
- Super Eagles striker Osimhen named in Napoli's 24-man provisional squad to face Bologna
- African Players Transfers
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football