Musa, Iwobi, Ighalo Nominated For CAF Player Of The Year; Ndidi Youth POTY; Rohr Coach Of The YearPublished: November 30, 2018
Three Super Eagles stars with English Premier League experience were nominated for the African Player of the Year by the Confederation of African Football (CAF) on Friday morning.
Former Leicester City striker Ahmed Musa, ex-Watford star Odion Ighalo, Arsenal winger Alex Iwobi and 31 other African stars have been shortlisted for the prestigious accolade.
Musa's nomination comes in recognition of his brilliant performance at the 2018 World Cup, where he became the first Nigerian player to score a brace in successive tournaments.
Changchun Yatai's Ighalo was recognized after notching six goals for the Super Eagles in Africa Cup of Nations qualifying, while Alex Iwobi is one of Africa's top performers in this season's Premier League.
For the title of CAF Female Player of the Year, Super Falcons stars Asisat Oshoala, Desire Oparanozie, Francisca Ordega and Onome Ebi are among 15 players nominated for the accolade.
In other categories, Leicester City midfielder Wilfred Ndidi and five other players will battle it out for the Youth Player of the Year, while Super Eagles manager Gernot Rohr and Super Falcons boss Thomas Dennerby are up for the Men's Coach of the Year and Women's Coach of the Year respectively.
Cameroon, Ghana, Mali, Nigeria and South Africa have been nominated for the Women's National Team of the Year.
The Awards Gala, to honour footballers and officials who distinguished themselves during the year under review, will be held on Tuesday, 8 January 2019 in Dakar, Senegal.
Football News 24/7
- Bad Day At The Office For Paderborn's Collins As Dortmund's Sancho Sets New Bundesliga Record
- Newcastle United Interested In Queens Park Rangers' Star Of Nigerian Descent
- Lille Chief Confirms Spanish, English Clubs Have Bid For Barca, Real Madrid, Chelsea-Linked Striker Osimhen
- Fenerbahce Identify Club Brugge's Dennis As Replacement For Tottenham Hotspur Target
- Failed Pursuit Of Bournemouth Star : Super Eagles Coach Shares His Side Of The Story
- Manchester United On Brink Of Extending Ighalo's Loan; Striker Not Signing New Shanghai Shenhua Contract
- Manchester City Interested In Signing Chelsea-Linked Winger With N46B Release Clause
- Rohr Labels Bayern's Zirkzee 'A Fantastic Talent', Admits It Won't Be Easy For Nigeria To Lure Him
- Rohr Provides Update On Futures Of German-Born Nigeria Targets Uduokhai, Bazee,Torunarigha, Akpoguma
- Galatasaray's Onyekuru, Sekidika Given Clean Bill Of Health Ahead Of Resumption Of Super Lig
- African Players Transfers
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football