CD Tacón Star Mabel Becomes First Player Of Nigerian Descent To Win U17 Women's World CupPublished: December 03, 2018
CD Tacón star of Nigerian descent Mabel Okoye has become a world champion at U17 level after Spain defeated Mexico 2-1 in the final of the 2018 FIFA U-17 Women's World Cup at Estadio Charrúa, Montevideo on Saturday evening.
In doing so, the former Madrid CFF wonderkid wrote her name in the history books after becoming the first player of Nigerian descent to win the U17 Women's World Cup.
Mabel was utilized in two matches during the competition in Uruguay, against Colombia which she started and lasted 70 minutes on the pitch and in the semifinal showdown vs New Zealand, where she came off the bench in injury time.
Despite her limited game time, the 2001-born player still wrote her name on the scoresheet in the 1-1 draw vs Colombia, scoring a fine goal from just outside the box in the 52nd minute.
Mabel is still eligible to represent African champions, the Super Falcons, as her father is Nigerian and she has not played competitively for Spain's senior team.
Vancouver Whitecaps FC Academy whizkid Teni Akindoju, who wore the number ten jersey for Canada, was the other player of Nigerian descent that displayed her wares at the FIFA U-17 Women's World Cup.
Photo Credit : sefutbol.com
Football News 24/7
- Fabrizio Romano confirms Aribo's transfer to Southampton is imminent for N2.98b initial fee
- Nigeria-eligible duo miss out on Arsenal training camp in Herzogenaurach
- Official : Ex-Chelsea midfielder of Nigerian descent signs scholarship deal with Fulham
- Official : SV Wehen Wiesbaden sign ex-Hamburg, Schalke youth teamer Ezeh
- Watford's Super Eagles GK likes Man Utd post confirming signing of Feyenoord fullback
- Former Chelsea star Moses reports for pre-season training at Spartak Moscow
- WAFCON : Three best and worst performers in Nigeria's defeat to South Africa
- 'He's a top level player' - Rangers icon understands why Southampton are interested in Nigeria star
- Significant update emerges on future of two Super Eagles stars and Nigeria U23 intl at Watford
- Opinion : Two English clubs that could benefit from signing Chelsea legend Mikel
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- My Betting Sites Nigeria
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Nigeria Betting Sites
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football