CD Tacón Star Mabel Becomes First Player Of Nigerian Descent To Win U17 Women's World CupPublished: December 03, 2018
CD Tacón star of Nigerian descent Mabel Okoye has become a world champion at U17 level after Spain defeated Mexico 2-1 in the final of the 2018 FIFA U-17 Women's World Cup at Estadio Charrúa, Montevideo on Saturday evening.
In doing so, the former Madrid CFF wonderkid wrote her name in the history books after becoming the first player of Nigerian descent to win the U17 Women's World Cup.
Mabel was utilized in two matches during the competition in Uruguay, against Colombia which she started and lasted 70 minutes on the pitch and in the semifinal showdown vs New Zealand, where she came off the bench in injury time.
Despite her limited game time, the 2001-born player still wrote her name on the scoresheet in the 1-1 draw vs Colombia, scoring a fine goal from just outside the box in the 52nd minute.
Mabel is still eligible to represent African champions, the Super Falcons, as her father is Nigerian and she has not played competitively for Spain's senior team.
Vancouver Whitecaps FC Academy whizkid Teni Akindoju, who wore the number ten jersey for Canada, was the other player of Nigerian descent that displayed her wares at the FIFA U-17 Women's World Cup.
Photo Credit : sefutbol.com
Football News 24/7
- Everton Winger Alex Iwobi Names Nigeria Legend As His Childhood Hero
- Nigerian Exports : Villarreal's Chukwueze, Bordeaux's Maja, Wycombe Wanderers' Onyedinma Score For Clubs
- Aston Villa Beat Liverpool, West Ham, Wolves To The Signing Of Promising Center Back
- Celtic, Rangers, West Ham Battling To Sign Nigerian Winger From Chelsea
- Fortuna Düsseldorf's Okoye Battling To Be Fit For Friendly Vs Ukraine After Operation
- Arsenal's Nigerian Fans React To Dani Ceballos' Masterclass Display Vs Burnley
- Nigeria's Costliest Player In History To Wait For Full Everton Debut
- Arsenal's Azeez, Tottenham's Etete, Southampton's Idowu, Norwich's Omobamidele, Derby's Aghatise On Target In U18 Premier League
- Tomori In Attendance As Chelsea Win Seven-Goal Thriller Against Okocha's West Ham U18
- Watford's Nigeria-Eligible Striker Fatuga-Dada Dreams Of Playing At Wembley
- African Players Transfers
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football