Balogun Scores 25 Seconds After Coming On As Sub But Fails To Break EPL Record Held By Ex-Nigeria U20 StarPublished: December 04, 2018
Leon Balogun opened his Brighton & Hove account as they claimed a 3-1 win over Crystal Palace in a Premier League match at the American Express Community Stadium on Tuesday night.
The Seagulls manager Chris Hughton had to bolster his defense with the introduction of the Nigeria international on the half-hour mark after Shane Duffy was shown a straight red card for headbutting Patrick van Aanholt.
And with his first touch of the ball, the Brighton & Hove number 14 smashed home low from a set-piece to double the home team's lead 25 seconds after he came off the bench.
Balogun's goal is the second fastest goal scored by a substitute this season, behind Daniel Sturridge who found the net 24 seconds after his introduction against West Ham on the opening round of the season.
The quickest goal by a substitute in Premier League history was scored by former Nigeria U20 international Sammy Ameobi who found the net eight seconds after his introduction in Newcastle United's 2-1 win at Tottenham Hotspur in October 2014.
Balogun also did not come close to Yakubu Aiyegbeni who got on the scoresheet for Everton 18 seconds after his introduction as a substitute against Blackburn Rovers in the 2009-10 season, assisted by Victor Anichebe.
Photo Credit : brightonandhovealbion.com
- Super Falcons ratings: Kanu, Okoronkwo grab headlines; Nnadozie can't be judged; Okwuchukwu one to watch
- Official: MLS club St. Louis City SC exercise 2024 contract option on Nigerian forward
- WAFCONQ: Five takeaways from Super Falcons convincing 5-0 win against Cape Verde
- WAFCONQ Nigeria 5 Cape Verde 0: Kanu and Okoronkwo at the double in Super Falcons convincing win
- Nigeria-eligible winger who trained with Chelsea first team this month nominated for Goal of the Month again
- 'It's a bit annoying' - Fulham CB Bassey reflects on being booked for time-wasting against Arsenal
- 'He comes from the Belgian league' - Bayer chief defends Boniface over his dip in form in Bundesliga
- Super Eagles drop two spots in latest Fifa rankings after draws against Lesotho and Zimbabwe
- 'Shows I'm doing the right things' - Nathan Tella admits selection for Super Eagles has given him confidence
- Napoli coach Walter Mazzarri reveals exactly why Osimhen did not start 4-2 defeat to Real Madrid
Football News 24/7
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football