Balogun Scores 25 Seconds After Coming On As Sub But Fails To Break EPL Record Held By Ex-Nigeria U20 StarPublished: December 04, 2018
Leon Balogun opened his Brighton & Hove account as they claimed a 3-1 win over Crystal Palace in a Premier League match at the American Express Community Stadium on Tuesday night.
The Seagulls manager Chris Hughton had to bolster his defense with the introduction of the Nigeria international on the half-hour mark after Shane Duffy was shown a straight red card for headbutting Patrick van Aanholt.
And with his first touch of the ball, the Brighton & Hove number 14 smashed home low from a set-piece to double the home team's lead 25 seconds after he came off the bench.
Balogun's goal is the second fastest goal scored by a substitute this season, behind Daniel Sturridge who found the net 24 seconds after his introduction against West Ham on the opening round of the season.
The quickest goal by a substitute in Premier League history was scored by former Nigeria U20 international Sammy Ameobi who found the net eight seconds after his introduction in Newcastle United's 2-1 win at Tottenham Hotspur in October 2014.
Balogun also did not come close to Yakubu Aiyegbeni who got on the scoresheet for Everton 18 seconds after his introduction as a substitute against Blackburn Rovers in the 2009-10 season, assisted by Victor Anichebe.
Photo Credit : brightonandhovealbion.com
Football News 24/7
- Manchester United Legend : Watford Deserved A Spot Kick After Yerry Mina Fouled Success
- Afelokhai: My Love For Petr Cech, Enyeama, Lucky Dube, Enyimba And AFCON Hopes
- Arsenal Product Akpom Comes Off Bench To Score Game-Winning Goal For PAOK
- Chelsea Captain, Who Once Played On The Same Team As Taye Taiwo, Joins Mikel In 300 Club
- 15-Year-Old Nigerian Striker On The Cusp Of Bury First Team Debut
- Manchester United Wonderkid In Line To Set New Nigerian, World Record; Included In UYL Squad
- Hertha BSC's Torunarigha One Of The Two Most Outstanding CBs In The Whole Of Germany WK 14
- Arsenal's Nwakali Shows Why Porto Signed Him On Loan: Brilliant Free-Kick Hits The Post
- Top Dribbler, Most Fouled Player : Ola Aina Holds His Own In Battle Of Chelsea Loanees
- Victor Moses May Reunite With Nigerian Coach As Fulham Join Race For Chelsea Star
- African Players Transfers
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Brazil 2014 World Cup
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football