Nigerian Winger Omitted From Arsenal FAYC Squad Ahead Of Possible Home Debut; Balogun StrikesPublished: December 13, 2018
Nigerian winger Bukayo Saka was omitted from the Arsenal squad for their FA Youth Cup clash against Northampton Town on Wednesday, a strong hint that he will be named in the provisional squad when the first team tackle Qarabag tonight.
If the 17-year-old steps out onto the Emirates Stadium pitch against the Azerbaijani opponents, it would be his first-ever appearance for the first team in a home fixture, having made his professional debut against Vorskla Poltava in Ukraine on November 29.
According to Arsenal youth-team guru Jeorge Bird, Saka was at Meadow Park to cheer his teammates on Wednesday.
Four players of Nigerian descent were named in the Gunners 18 vs Northampton Town but only two in the shape of James Olayinka and Folarin Balogun made the starting line-up.
Arsenal sealed their place in the fourth round of the FA Youth Cup with a 2-0 win thanks to goals from Folarin Balogun and Zak Swanson.
On 35 minutes, Balogun sent a low drive into the net to open the scoring for the Londoners, his 13th goal in all competitions for the U18s so far this season.
Goalkeeper Arthur Okonkwo was an unused substitute and Mazeed Ogungbo came off the bench on the hour mark.
Photo Credit : arsenal.com
- Napoli coach Walter Mazzarri reveals exactly why Osimhen did not start 4-2 defeat to Real Madrid
- 'He has clearly shown that he is of value' - Ajax coach satisfied with performance of Akpom
- Babayaro's Nigerian record is safe: 16yo midfielder Nwaneri named in Arsenal's matchday squad v Lens
- Official: Nigeria-eligible winger signs new long-term contract with Brentford
- Gianfranco Zola insists Osimhen would be perfect for Real Madrid amid Napoli striker's links with Chelsea
- The truth about Hull City's links with Super Eagles midfielder Fisayo Dele-Bashiru
- Why Super Eagles left-back Jamilu Collins was omitted from Cardiff City's gameday squad v West Brom
- 'Nothing strange' - Peter Rufai expects Super Eagles to correct their flaws ahead of resumption of WCQ
- Richard Olise, once touted as 'Reece James heir', returns to action for Chelsea after more than 21 months out
- APOEL Nicosia chief scout in Lagos for 20-team scouting programme
Football News 24/7
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football