Emery Hails Eagles Star Ahead Of Trip To Liverpool : Super Sub Iwobi Helps Arsenal To Win MatchesPublished: December 27, 2018
Manager Unai Emery has shed more light on his decision to introduce Alex Iwobi off the bench in some matches played by Arsenal in the Premier League this season.
The Nigeria international emerged as the game-changer when he replaced Aaron Ramsey in Arsenal's 2-0 win over Watford in September and the Gunners were more threatening in attack when he came on in the second half against Huddersfield and Burnley.
Emery's decision to replace Mesut Ozil with Iwobi in yesterday's 1-1 draw at Brighton was questioned in some quarters as his side laboured in the second half.
''A lot of the matches when we play in the second half, for example Iwobi, it helps us with a different situation tactically and helps us to win the matches,'' Emery told arsenal.com.
''In other matches, when we changed for the second half we took the performance to go to win.
''Yesterday, my intention was the same, it is tactically to change one player for another and with our analysis before that in other matches, in the second-half sessions is the reason I do that.
''But for me, it is only tactically and not [down to the] player, and for me every player is the same.''
Arsenal have not lost any of the six matches Iwobi was introduced as a substitute, picking up wins against Everton, Watford, Huddersfield Town and Burnley and sharing the spoils with Liverpool and Brighton.
Photo Credit : arsenal.com
Football News 24/7
- 'We're be lucky to keep hold of him' - Rangers boss fuels transfer speculation about Aribo
- Rangers boss provides worrying update on Balogun ahead of Nigeria squad announcement
- Super Eagles trio Awoniyi, Osimhen, Odey takes season tally to 10, 9, 8; ex-AC Milan star on target
- Balogun celebrates his first goal in Rangers colours but goes off injured in win vs Brondby
- Team of the Week honours for Luton Town's Adebayo and Northampton Town's Koiki
- Aston Villa keen to offer new deal to Nigeria-eligible midfielder to ward off interest
- 'Assists mean nothing to me' - Ex-Chelsea ace Moses angry over Spartak's loss to Leicester
- 'Comeback is real' - Nigerian star celebrates after playing key role in Chelsea win vs Malmo U19
- Shoretire likes Manchester United captain's post after Champions League thriller at Old Trafford
- Osimhen could be teammates with Messi as PSG planning to raid Napoli for N48b-rated striker
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- My Betting Sites Nigeria
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football