England Or Nigeria? Southampton Defender Who Looks Up To Iwobi, Aina Reveals Where His International Allegiance LiesPublished: January 08, 2019
When put on the spot, Southampton wonderkid Oludare Olufunwa has admitted that he would be open to playing for the Nigerian National Teams if he's invited by the Nigeria Football Federation.
The 17-year-old Southampton-born defender has been tipped for a first-team breakthrough in the not too distant future, having made his debut for the The Saints U23 squad against Stoke City four days ago.
''My father is Nigerian, my mum is English and I was born in Southampton. Yes of course I will honour the call up to the Nigeria squad if the opportunity was to come,'' Olufunwa told allnigeriasoccer.com.
''I’ve always wanted to play for the Super Eagles but also playing for England is an option for me as I’ve grown up here and wouldn’t rule it out.''
Having left the door wide open for the Nigerian Federation to make a move for his services, Olufunwa, who was recently converted from a central defender to a fullback, revealed that he looks up to Arsenal's Alex Iwobi and Chelsea-owned Ola Aina.
Asked who he models his defensive game after, the talented teenager answered : ''At the moment I’m playing right wing back which is an even newer position for me but when playing centre back I aim to mirror Van Dijk but in general I like the style of Yaya Toure.
''In terms of a Nigerian player at the moment I like Iwobi’s energy and also Aina who I think is a very good right back.''
Olufunwa joined Southampton in 2010 following a successful trial after he was spotted playing for a local club.
Football News 24/7
- Chelsea's Argentina GK Knew He Was Going To Be Dropped From Starting XI Vs Nigeria 2018 World Cup
- Ludogorets Have Competition From PAOK, Turkish Clubs To Sign Maccabi Tel Aviv's Ofoedu
- Super Eagles Playmaker Iwobi Reveals What He Learnt From Retired Duo Mikel And Ighalo
- 'Nothing To Report At The Moment' - Heerenveen Director Of Football On Ejuke
- 'Every Game He's Bagging' - Ex-Arsenal U23 Skipper Identifies The Key Attributes Of Ighalo
- Nigerian Midfielder To Depart Watford After Ten Years, Rejects New Contract
- Racing Genk Ready To Sell Hagi To Rangers To Fund Bid For Heracles Marksman Dessers
- Bazee, Once Tipped As Heir Apparent To Victor Moses, Reacts To Scoring First Bundesliga Goal
- What Are Nigeria Punters Betting On While There Is Not Much Football?
- 'I Know He's Going To Do Bigger Things' - Eagles Captain Musa Wants Ighalo To Stay At Man Utd
- African Players Transfers
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football