Manchester City Boss Guardiola Set To Hand Third Nigerian Teenager Professional DebutPublished: January 23, 2019
Hamburg-born Nigerian starlet Felix Nmecha,18, is in line to make his professional debut for Manchester City in their Carabao Cup semi-final clash against Burton Albion on Wednesday evening.
Attacking midfielder Nmecha was in the traveling party to Burton and could feature in the dead rubber match.
If he steps out onto the Pirelli Stadium turf, he would be the third Nigerian teenager to be handed a debut by Pep Guardiola since his appointment as Manchester City coach in the summer of 2016.
Felix's elder brother, Lukas Nmecha, made his first-team debut for The Citizens against Leicester City in this same competition back in the 2017-18 season, aged 19 years and 7 days.
Highly-rated midfielder Tom Dele-Bashiru also came off the bench in the game against The Foxes on December 19, 2017, aged 18 years, 3 months and 2 days.
Felix Nmecha was a member of the match day squads against Hoffenheim (Champions League) and Leicester City (League Cup) this campaign but was not utilized off the bench in both games.
With Manchester City thrashing Burton Albion 9-0 in the first leg, Guardiola is likely to field some fringe players in today's tie.
Photo Credit : mancity.com
- 'He has clearly shown that he is of value' - Ajax coach satisfied with performance of Akpom
- Babayaro's Nigerian record is safe: 16yo midfielder Nwaneri named in Arsenal's matchday squad v Lens
- Official: Nigeria-eligible winger signs new long-term contract with Brentford
- Gianfranco Zola insists Osimhen would be perfect for Real Madrid amid Napoli striker's links with Chelsea
- The truth about Hull City's links with Super Eagles midfielder Fisayo Dele-Bashiru
- Why Super Eagles left-back Jamilu Collins was omitted from Cardiff City's gameday squad v West Brom
- 'Nothing strange' - Peter Rufai expects Super Eagles to correct their flaws ahead of resumption of WCQ
- Richard Olise, once touted as 'Reece James heir', returns to action for Chelsea after more than 21 months out
- APOEL Nicosia chief scout in Lagos for 20-team scouting programme
- Chukwueze finally opens his AC Milan account in defeat against Borussia Dortmund
Football News 24/7
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football