AS Monaco VP Aims Dig At Emenalo, Ex-Chelsea Chief Set To Follow Henry Out Of Exit DoorPublished: January 26, 2019
Michael Emenalo's reign as sporting director of Monaco could officially come to an end in the coming days following the dismissal of Arsenal legend Thierry Henry as coach of the club on Friday, January 25, according to L'Equipe.
AS Monaco Vice-President, CEO Vadim Vasilyev has aimed a dig at the former Nigeria international, suggesting that he was part of the problem at the Principality club as he failed to sign suitable replacements after some key players departed the club last summer.
In addition, the one-time Chelsea technical director has a poor relationship with Leonardo Jardim, who has returned to Monaco on a two-and-a-half year deal as replacement for Henry.
In truth, Monaco did not hold onto their best players, losing the services of Kylian Mbappé, Thomas Lemar, Fabinho, João Moutinho and Terence Kongolo among others in the summer transfer window.
''We have to acknowledge that during the summer transfer window, we sold too many key players and, despite considerable investments, mistakes were made with respect to their replacement,'' Vasilyev said in a statement published by the official website of Monaco.
''This did not allow us to create a new, competitive team. The decision to dismiss Leonardo Jardim was also premature.''
He added : ''The mistakes made during the summer transfer window were taken into account, and this winter we have worked more thoroughly to strengthen the team.''
Emenalo was appointed Monaco sporting director in November 2017 and part of his job description was to oversee recruitment of players.
Photo Credit : asmonaco.com
- 'He has clearly shown that he is of value' - Ajax coach satisfied with performance of Akpom
- Babayaro's Nigerian record is safe: 16yo midfielder Nwaneri named in Arsenal's matchday squad v Lens
- Official: Nigeria-eligible winger signs new long-term contract with Brentford
- Gianfranco Zola insists Osimhen would be perfect for Real Madrid amid Napoli striker's links with Chelsea
- The truth about Hull City's links with Super Eagles midfielder Fisayo Dele-Bashiru
- Why Super Eagles left-back Jamilu Collins was omitted from Cardiff City's gameday squad v West Brom
- 'Nothing strange' - Peter Rufai expects Super Eagles to correct their flaws ahead of resumption of WCQ
- Richard Olise, once touted as 'Reece James heir', returns to action for Chelsea after more than 21 months out
- APOEL Nicosia chief scout in Lagos for 20-team scouting programme
- Chukwueze finally opens his AC Milan account in defeat against Borussia Dortmund
Football News 24/7
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football