Eleven Nigeria-Eligible Players Named In Updated Arsenal Squad For Premier LeaguePublished: February 02, 2019
Arsenal have submitted an updated squad list to the English Premier League following the close of the January transfer window, informs the official website of the Premier League.
Eleven players eligible to represent the Nigerian National Teams have been registered by The Gunners, with Alex Iwobi leading the way.
Although the Super Eagle was born in Nigeria, he is classed as a homegrown player while the ten remaining players are U21 players.
For the sake of clarity, according to Premier League rules, a "Home-Grown Player" means a player who, irrespective of nationality or age, has been registered with any club affiliated to The Football Association or the Football Association of Wales for a period, continuous or not, of three entire seasons, or 36 months, before his 21st birthday, and squads can contain no more than 17 players who do not fill the Home-Grown Player criteria.
Apart from the 25-man squad list, clubs are permitted to include as many U21 players as they wish and for the 2018-2019 season, U21 players must be born on or after 1 January 1997, and this explains why Arsenal have as many as ten Nigerian starlets named.
The Nigerian youngsters classed as U21 players are : Ryan Alebiousu, Xavier Amaechi, Folarin Balogun, Tolaji Bola, Kelechi Nwakali, Arthur Okonkwo, James Olayinka, Joseph Olowu, Tobi Omole and Bukayo Saka.
It should be noted that ex-Golden Eaglets captain Nwakali cannot feature for the Gunners in the Premier League this season as he has been loaned out to Porto.
Bukayo Saka has been included in match day squads for the Premier League three times this season and made his debut in the competition in a 4-1 win against Fulham on January 1.
Photo Credit : arsenal.com
Football News 24/7
- U17 AFCON Nigeria Press Conference : Every Word On Guinea, Complaint By Senegal, Tough Group A & More
- Will Belgian-Born Striker Cyriel Dessers Ever Get His Chance With Nigeria?
- Nigerian Midfielder Offered New Contract By West Ham
- Hammarby Confirm Interest In Golden Eaglets Star Amoo, But Deny He Has Signed Contract
- Teenage Nigerian Duo Spotted Training With Arsenal First-Team Pre-Wolves
- U17 AFCON : Golden Eaglets Coaches Forcing Injured 'Little Messi' To Play Against Guinea
- Uganda Coach Names The Most Talented Golden Eaglets Player In 2019 U17 AFCON
- One Player Who Deserves Sarri's Attention After Incredible Spell In Spain
- Chelsea Let Slip Tammy Abraham Expected To Re-join Club Next Season
- Trabzonspor's Anthony Nwakaeme Named Player Of The Week In Turkey
- African Players Transfers
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Brazil 2014 World Cup
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football