Eleven Nigeria-Eligible Players Named In Updated Arsenal Squad For Premier LeaguePublished: February 02, 2019
Arsenal have submitted an updated squad list to the English Premier League following the close of the January transfer window, informs the official website of the Premier League.
Eleven players eligible to represent the Nigerian National Teams have been registered by The Gunners, with Alex Iwobi leading the way.
Although the Super Eagle was born in Nigeria, he is classed as a homegrown player while the ten remaining players are U21 players.
For the sake of clarity, according to Premier League rules, a "Home-Grown Player" means a player who, irrespective of nationality or age, has been registered with any club affiliated to The Football Association or the Football Association of Wales for a period, continuous or not, of three entire seasons, or 36 months, before his 21st birthday, and squads can contain no more than 17 players who do not fill the Home-Grown Player criteria.
Apart from the 25-man squad list, clubs are permitted to include as many U21 players as they wish and for the 2018-2019 season, U21 players must be born on or after 1 January 1997, and this explains why Arsenal have as many as ten Nigerian starlets named.
The Nigerian youngsters classed as U21 players are : Ryan Alebiousu, Xavier Amaechi, Folarin Balogun, Tolaji Bola, Kelechi Nwakali, Arthur Okonkwo, James Olayinka, Joseph Olowu, Tobi Omole and Bukayo Saka.
It should be noted that ex-Golden Eaglets captain Nwakali cannot feature for the Gunners in the Premier League this season as he has been loaned out to Porto.
Bukayo Saka has been included in match day squads for the Premier League three times this season and made his debut in the competition in a 4-1 win against Fulham on January 1.
Photo Credit : arsenal.com
Football News 24/7
- Seven Flying Eagles Players Who Showed Promise In 2019 U20 AFCON
- Most Overpaid EPL Players Based On Minutes Played: Victor Moses, Okaka Make Top 10
- Two Players Of Nigerian Descent On Target For Man Utd U16 In 5-0 Rout Of FK Poprad
- Fifty Hottest Prospects In English Football: Chelsea's Anjorin, Arsenal's Saka, Norwich's Idah Make List
- Ex-Bayern Munich Striker Adeyemi Named Among Most Experienced Youngsters In Europe
- Nigerian Striker Celebrates New Contract With Goal & Assist For Arsenal U18s
- Leon Balogun Injury Nightmare Strikes Again Ahead Of Rohr's AFCONQ Squad Announcement
- Uzoho Invalid Medical Certificate : Super Eagles GK Suspended One Game; Fined N405,000
- Official : Junior Ajayi Extends Al Ahly Contract Until 2022
- Liverpool Post Scout To Watch Everton Loanee Henry, Nwakaeme In Turkish Super Lig Match
- African Players Transfers
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Brazil 2014 World Cup
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football