Six U21 Players Of Nigerian Descent Named In Arsenal's Europa League SquadPublished: February 05, 2019
Six U21 players of Nigerian descent have been included in Arsenal's Europa League squad for the knockout stages of the competition.
Nigeria international Alex Iwobi also made the cut, as you would expect, as one of the club trained players on the List A.
UEFA defines a club trained player as a player who was on a club's books for three years between the ages of 15 and 21; while an Association-trained player is a player who was on another club's books in the same association for three years between the ages of 15 and 21.
According to UEFA, a player may be registered on List B if he is born on, or after, 1 January 1997 and has been eligible to play for the club concerned for any uninterrupted period of two years since his 15th birthday (players aged 16 may be submitted if they have been registered with the club for the previous two years.
The six players of Nigerian descent named in the Gunners List B are : goalkeeper Arthur Okonkwo, defenders Tobi Omole, Tolaji Bola and Joseph Olowu, wingers Xavier Amaechi and Bukayo Saka.
Iwobi will play with his usual number 17 jersey, Okonkwo 86, while Tolaji Bola, Olowu, Omole, Amaechi and Saka have been handed the number 38, 50, 51, 66 and 87 kits respectively.
The aforementioned players are all available for selection when Unai Emery's side do battle with BATE Borisov in the round of 32 on Valentine's Day.
Photo Credit : arsenal.com
- Super Falcons ratings: Kanu, Okoronkwo grab headlines; Nnadozie can't be judged; Okwuchukwu one to watch
- Official: MLS club St. Louis City SC exercise 2024 contract option on Nigerian forward
- WAFCONQ: Five takeaways from Super Falcons convincing 5-0 win against Cape Verde
- WAFCONQ Nigeria 5 Cape Verde 0: Kanu and Okoronkwo at the double in Super Falcons convincing win
- Nigeria-eligible winger who trained with Chelsea first team this month nominated for Goal of the Month again
- 'It's a bit annoying' - Fulham CB Bassey reflects on being booked for time-wasting against Arsenal
- 'He comes from the Belgian league' - Bayer chief defends Boniface over his dip in form in Bundesliga
- Super Eagles drop two spots in latest Fifa rankings after draws against Lesotho and Zimbabwe
- 'Shows I'm doing the right things' - Nathan Tella admits selection for Super Eagles has given him confidence
- Napoli coach Walter Mazzarri reveals exactly why Osimhen did not start 4-2 defeat to Real Madrid
Football News 24/7
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football