Gent To Pay Penalty To Liverpool For Not Starting Awoniyi In 70 Percent Of Their MatchesPublished: February 12, 2019
Belgian First Division A team Gent will have to pay a penalty to Premier League side Liverpool for not naming Taiwo Awoniyi in the starting line-up in at least seventy percent of their matches during his loan spell at De Buffalo's.
The former Nigeria U20 international started 35.7 percent of the matches contested by Gent before sealing a move to Royal Excel Mouscron in the January transfer window.
Awoniyi made only five starts from a possible 21 in the Belgian topflight, four out of four in the Europa League qualifying rounds and started once in the Belgian Cup.
''We have given him enough chances. He started eight times with us,'' Gent manager Michel Louwagie told VISTA!
''There was also a 'penalty' in the agreement: if he did not start in 70% of the matches, we had to pay that penalty, so we have to pay for it.
''We have done everything to make him succeed. I think Taiwo works better in a system with two strikers. That was the case in the cup match against Virton and things went better''.
Awoniyi has been directly involved in 4 goals (3 goals, 1 assist) since his return to Royal Excel Mouscron.
- Super Falcons ratings: Kanu, Okoronkwo grab headlines; Nnadozie can't be judged; Okwuchukwu one to watch
- Official: MLS club St. Louis City SC exercise 2024 contract option on Nigerian forward
- WAFCONQ: Five takeaways from Super Falcons convincing 5-0 win against Cape Verde
- WAFCONQ Nigeria 5 Cape Verde 0: Kanu and Okoronkwo at the double in Super Falcons convincing win
- Nigeria-eligible winger who trained with Chelsea first team this month nominated for Goal of the Month again
- 'It's a bit annoying' - Fulham CB Bassey reflects on being booked for time-wasting against Arsenal
- 'He comes from the Belgian league' - Bayer chief defends Boniface over his dip in form in Bundesliga
- Super Eagles drop two spots in latest Fifa rankings after draws against Lesotho and Zimbabwe
- 'Shows I'm doing the right things' - Nathan Tella admits selection for Super Eagles has given him confidence
- Napoli coach Walter Mazzarri reveals exactly why Osimhen did not start 4-2 defeat to Real Madrid
Football News 24/7
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football