Nigerian Agent In Hot Water After Receiving N93.2M For Transfer Of Sancho To Man CityPublished: February 23, 2019
Nigerian agent Emeka Obasi has come under the spotlight after receiving 200,000 pounds (N93.2 million) as agency commission following the transfer of highly-rated winger Jadon Sancho to Manchester City from Watford in March 2015 when the player was 14 years old.
German magazine Der Spiegel claims Manchester City secured the services of Sancho in an illegal manner as the payment to Obasi was not authorized by the English FA.
Football Association rules state that an authorised agent must not, either directly or indirectly, make any approach to, or enter into any agreement with, a player in relation to any agency activity before (a) the 1st day in January of the year of the player’s sixteenth birthday; or (b) the 1st day in January of the final year of the player’s full-time education.
The FA added in its regulations that : ''An authorised agent must not charge or receive any fee or commission or payment or remuneration of any kind, either directly or indirectly, as a result of introducing a player who is under 16 or still in full-time education to a club''.
Spiegel and Football Leaks claim the amount was paid to Obasi as scouting fee but City entered it as agency fee in their books.
Obasi now handles the affairs of Sancho but it would have been illegal for him to do so four years ago as the player was a minor and the Nigerian could have his license and registration withdrawn by the FA if found guilty.
Alex Iwobi, Ola Aina, Ademola Lookman and Chuba Akpom are represented by Obasi's Elite Project Group Limited.
Photo Credit : bvb. de
- CAF Team of the Year 2023: Osimhen joins Arsenal, Man Utd, Liverpool, West Ham players in ideal XI
- Osimhen sees off challenges from Liverpool and PSG stars to land African football's biggest individual prize
- CAF Awards 2023: Oshoala wins 6th POTY; Nnadozie Goalkeeper of the Year; Super Falcons best national team
- 'Gave Man Utd's back four a torrid time' - PL's record goalscorer hails Solanke for display at Old Trafford
- 'A great understanding with Osimhen' - Peseiro on similarities and differences between Lookman and Chukwueze
- Nwaneri trains with Arsenal first team pre-PSV after scoring five goals in FA Youth Cup clash
- CAF Awards 2023: Can Osimhen end Nigeria's 24-year wait for an African football king?
- 'We can do better' - Boniface reacts to Bayer's 1-1 draw against VfB Stuttgart
- Super Eagles-eligible defender agrees new long-term contract with Tottenham Hotspur
- Osimhen battles Saka, Mbappe, Messi, Ronaldo, 20 others for IFFHS Men's World Best Player 2023
Football News 24/7
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football