Nigerian Agent In Hot Water After Receiving N93.2M For Transfer Of Sancho To Man CityPublished: February 23, 2019
Nigerian agent Emeka Obasi has come under the spotlight after receiving 200,000 pounds (N93.2 million) as agency commission following the transfer of highly-rated winger Jadon Sancho to Manchester City from Watford in March 2015 when the player was 14 years old.
German magazine Der Spiegel claims Manchester City secured the services of Sancho in an illegal manner as the payment to Obasi was not authorized by the English FA.
Football Association rules state that an authorised agent must not, either directly or indirectly, make any approach to, or enter into any agreement with, a player in relation to any agency activity before (a) the 1st day in January of the year of the player’s sixteenth birthday; or (b) the 1st day in January of the final year of the player’s full-time education.
The FA added in its regulations that : ''An authorised agent must not charge or receive any fee or commission or payment or remuneration of any kind, either directly or indirectly, as a result of introducing a player who is under 16 or still in full-time education to a club''.
Spiegel and Football Leaks claim the amount was paid to Obasi as scouting fee but City entered it as agency fee in their books.
Obasi now handles the affairs of Sancho but it would have been illegal for him to do so four years ago as the player was a minor and the Nigerian could have his license and registration withdrawn by the FA if found guilty.
Alex Iwobi, Ola Aina, Ademola Lookman and Chuba Akpom are represented by Obasi's Elite Project Group Limited.
Photo Credit : bvb. de
Football News 24/7
- Osimhen costing more than Haaland : Serie A legend confident Nigerian will deliver for Napoli
- Chelsea loanee Ugbo nets brace in Cercle Brugge's 3-0 rout of Oud-Heverlee Leuven
- Crotone's Simy two goals away from breaking Nigerian record held by ex-Blackburn striker Yakubu
- EFL: Barnsley's Dike, Luton's Adebayo, Bournemouth's Solanke, Wigan's Solomon-Otabor on target
- Azeez involved in Arsenal's final training session before trip to Sheffield United
- Dutch-Nigerian winger Ideho scores third goal in four games for Arsenal U18s in loss to Fulham
- 'They are doing very well' - Victor Moses backing Chelsea to win the Champions League
- Trabzonspor issue medical bulletin on experienced winger Anthony Nwakaeme
- Announcement imminent by Arsenal as talented striker Balogun agrees new multi-year contract
- West Ham striker Odubeko scores hat-trick against former club Manchester United
- African Players Transfers
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football