'I Was At The Right Place At The Wrong Time' - Awoniyi Explains Why He Struggled At GentPublished: March 07, 2019
Taiwo Awoniyi did not enjoy his time with Gent and had to be recalled by Liverpool in the January transfer window before he was loaned to another Belgian First Division A team Royal Excel Mouscron for the remainder of the season.
The striker is enjoying a purple patch since returning to Mouscron, scoring 6 goals in 7 games, which led to speculation in the media that he could earn his maiden call-up to the Super Eagles which didn't happen.
Explaining why he struggled to find his feet at Gent, Awoniyi stated that he was not granted enough minutes to show his qualities.
''Ghent is a beautiful place, with a beautiful club, but maybe I was at the right place at the wrong time, first of all, you have to watch the team when I came in,'' Awoniyi told Sport/Foot Magazine Belgium.
''There were a lot of new players, we also had to analyze the situation of the club: we did not win matches, one coach was fired, another replaced him, with a new philosophy, a new style, of which I was not really part of it, I went in sometimes 5, 10 or 20 minutes.
''It's true that I could have made the difference, I did not do it, but what I mean is is that the club as a whole was not in the best of situations.
''I did everything to succeed in Ghent, I can get up and tell whoever I want, I must also be honest with myself, did my best but did not succeed.''
Gent were forced to pay Liverpool a financial penalty after failing to start Taiwo Awoniyi in at least seventy percent of their first-team matches.
Football News 24/7
- Confirmed : 165-Cap International Departs Chelsea For VfL Wolfsburg
- Super Eagles Winger Chukwueze Among 80 Players Shortlisted For Golden Boy Award
- Starts For Iwobi, Omeruo; Aina Returns; Uzoho Debuts As Rohr Unveils Nigeria Starting XI Vs Tunisia
- Everton Winger Onyekuru Rejects Move To CSKA Moscow
- Spur's Onomah May Join Nigerian Golden Boy Nominee At Borussia Monchengladbach; Mainz, Augsburg, Frankfurt Also In The Mix
- Nigeria Team News Vs Tunisia: Rohr Hints Osimhen, Uzoho May Play; Mikel, Akepyi, Awaziem Out
- Two Nigeria-Eligible Whizkids React After Scoring First Professional Goals For Arsenal
- AFCON 2019: Mikel Among Three World-class Players Who Could Have Done Better In Egypt
- 'No 10. Is A Very Special Jersey To My Family' - Okocha's Nephew Iwobi Not Ruling Out Wearing Shirt Number
- How AFCON Participation Could Affect Iwobi's Chances At Arsenal Next Season
- African Players Transfers
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football