EFL: Ex-Chelsea Youth-Teamers Oyeleke, Olise In The Spotlight; Ladapo, Solomon-Otabor ScorePublished: March 13, 2019
There were three goals scored by players of Nigerian descent in the English Football League in matches on Tuesday, March 12.
Former Chelsea youth-teamer Emmanuel Oyeleke netted his third goal of the season as Port Vale claimed a comfortable 3-0 win against a Yeovil Town side that contained the giant Nigerian defender Omar Sowunmi in the starting line-up.
The unmarked Port Vale number 8 opened the scoring with a header after a teammate floated the ball into the box in the 26th minute.
Oyeleke was on the books of Chelsea for six years and also had spells with Queens Park Rangers, Brentford, Northampton Town, Aldershot Town, Exeter City and Canvey Island before his shift to Port Vale in 2018.
Another former Chelsea starlet in the limelight is Michael Olise, who made his professional debut after coming off the bench in the 69th minute of Reading's 3-0 loss to Championship leaders Leeds United.
Three days before his baptism of fire, The Royals first-year scholar was a non-playing substitute against Wigan Athletic.
In the League One, Birmingham City loanee Viv Solomon-Otabor helped Portsmouth beat Walsall 3-2 at the Banks's Stadium, scoring in the 68th minute.
The Super Eagles hopeful slotted past the goalkeeper to make it 3-0, his first goal in a Portsmouth shirt since joining the club in the January transfer window, and his eighth career goal.
Elsewhere in the division, ex-Flying Eagles invitee Freddie Ladapo took his tally to an impressive 16 goals across all competitions this season after getting on the scoresheet in Plymouth Argyle's 2-1 win against Shrewsbury Town at Home Park.
The attacker tapped in from two yards after the Town defense failed to clear a ball fired into the box.
Photo Credit : readingfc.co.uk
Football News 24/7
- Rohr Hints At Making Three Changes To Super Eagles Starting XI Vs Seychelles
- Okereke, Kingsley Michael, Orji Okonkwo Finally Report For Nigeria U23 Duty
- Kanu Backing Arsenal, Ajax To Beat Napoli, Juventus; Rubbishes Rift With Okocha
- All Present And Correct : 23 Super Eagles Players In Camp Ahead Of First Workout
- Rohr Reveals NPFL Stars Will Compete With Foreign-Based Pros For 2019 AFCON Spots
- The Five Super Eagles Players Who Have Not Reported For International Duty
- Three Reasons Why Ndidi Should Be Omitted From Eagles Match Day Squad Vs Seychelles
- Rohr Names One Player Who Is Certain To Make His Super Eagles Debut This Month
- Tammy Abraham Reveals The Club He Wants To Play For Next Season
- Mountain of Fire Young Star Akpudje Reacts To Nigeria U23 Call-Up
- African Players Transfers
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Brazil 2014 World Cup
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football