EFL: Ex-Chelsea Youth-Teamers Oyeleke, Olise In The Spotlight; Ladapo, Solomon-Otabor ScorePublished: March 13, 2019
There were three goals scored by players of Nigerian descent in the English Football League in matches on Tuesday, March 12.
Former Chelsea youth-teamer Emmanuel Oyeleke netted his third goal of the season as Port Vale claimed a comfortable 3-0 win against a Yeovil Town side that contained the giant Nigerian defender Omar Sowunmi in the starting line-up.
The unmarked Port Vale number 8 opened the scoring with a header after a teammate floated the ball into the box in the 26th minute.
Oyeleke was on the books of Chelsea for six years and also had spells with Queens Park Rangers, Brentford, Northampton Town, Aldershot Town, Exeter City and Canvey Island before his shift to Port Vale in 2018.
Another former Chelsea starlet in the limelight is Michael Olise, who made his professional debut after coming off the bench in the 69th minute of Reading's 3-0 loss to Championship leaders Leeds United.
Three days before his baptism of fire, The Royals first-year scholar was a non-playing substitute against Wigan Athletic.
In the League One, Birmingham City loanee Viv Solomon-Otabor helped Portsmouth beat Walsall 3-2 at the Banks's Stadium, scoring in the 68th minute.
The Super Eagles hopeful slotted past the goalkeeper to make it 3-0, his first goal in a Portsmouth shirt since joining the club in the January transfer window, and his eighth career goal.
Elsewhere in the division, ex-Flying Eagles invitee Freddie Ladapo took his tally to an impressive 16 goals across all competitions this season after getting on the scoresheet in Plymouth Argyle's 2-1 win against Shrewsbury Town at Home Park.
The attacker tapped in from two yards after the Town defense failed to clear a ball fired into the box.
Photo Credit : readingfc.co.uk
Football News 24/7
- Race For 'Nigerian Golden Shoe' : Osimhen Is The Man To Beat (Top Six Players)
- Rangers Working On Deal To Sign Liverpool Winger Of Nigerian Descent
- Lampard Link to Chelsea : One Player Who Stands to Benefit If Club Legend Replaces Sarri
- Inter Milan Interested In Signing Chelsea-Owned Winger Victor Moses
- U20 World Cup: Why Toronto FC's USA Star Akinola Will Not Face Flying Eagles May 27
- Afelokhai Hopes To Beat Ezenwa, Akpeyi, Uzoho To Super Eagles Number 1 Jersey
- Moses Responds To Question About His Fenerbahce Future Amid Chelsea Transfer Ban
- Iwobi Reveals He Wants Tottenham Hotspur To Lose To Liverpool In Champions League Final
- Nigeria-Eligible Attacker Nominated For Liverpool Player Of The Year - Women's Team
- Five Players Key To Nigeria’s Hopes of Glory at 2019 AFCON
- African Players Transfers
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Brazil 2014 World Cup
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football