Arsenal Invincible On Chukwueze : Villarreal Must Hold On To WingerPublished: March 18, 2019
Former Cameroon international Lauren Etamé Mayer has heaped plaudits on Samuel Chukwueze for his contributions to Villarreal's 3-1 defeat of Rayo Vallecano on Sunday evening at Estadio de la Cerámica and warns that the club must hold on to the talented Nigerian alongside Santi Cazorla and Toko Ekambi who scored a brace.
Chukwueze made his first starting eleven for the Submarine since 12 January 2019 in a 2-1 defeat to Getafe as they beat Rayo Vallecano 3-1 to make their way out of the relegation zone in the La Liga table and now occupy the 17th place with 29 points.
The Nigerian was in action for 84 minutes and was replaced by Pablo Fornals.
Mayer, a member of Arsenal's Invincible team, was a studio analyst for La Liga TV and the 2000 Africa Cup of Nations winner insisted that the club must hold on to the talented Nigerian.
"When you're winning the games, the momentum is there. They (Villarreal) were very good. They scored a quick goal and they managed to score the second and third goals," Meyer stated.
The Nigerian scored when both sides played out a 2-2 draw on 11 November 2018.
"They're now above Celta Vigo (who are in 18th place with 25 points) and if they manage to keep Ekambi and Gerrard Moreno also Santi Cazorla and Samuel Chukwueze, they can do something different.
Responding to questions from the lady presenter on the return of Chukwueze to the starting line up, Mayer spoke in glowing terms about the hugely gifted squad at the disposal of head coach Javi Calleja.
"Having players who can come off the bench and help the team is a fantastic news for the manager.
"It's a fantastic Villarreal team and they have quality that can help when you have problems. Hopefully they will be out of the relegation by the end of the season," the one-time midfielder turned defender stressed.
Chukwueze is not in Gernot Rohr's team for the Super Eagles' matches against Seychelles and Egypt.
Football News 24/7
- 2019 WWC : Nigeria Qualify For Round Of 16, Face Germany Saturday
- Nigeria's Most Expensive Player In History Combined Transfer Fees, Ideye Joins Aris Thessaloniki
- Everton-Owned Winger Onyekuru Likeliest Loan Destination Revealed
- 'We Don't Have Stars Like Okocha, Kanu & Amokachi' - Rohr Admits No Marquee Players In Eagles AFCON Squad
- Braintree Town Snap Up Nigerian Midfielder Cole Who Was On Crystal Palace, Millwall Radar
- 'He Is From A Different Planet' - Mikel Picks Messi Over Ronaldo
- Nigeria vs Burundi : What Super Eagles Must Do To Defeat Unpredictable Debutant
- Done Deal : Third Highest-Scoring Nigerian In Bundesliga History Joins FC Union Berlin
- Ighalo Highlights The Key Qualities Of Super Eagles 'Legend' Obi Mikel
- Man City Beat Chelsea, Bayern Munich, Borussia Dortmund To Sign Nigerian Winger
- African Players Transfers
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Brazil 2014 World Cup
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football