Six Things We Learned From Super Eagles Final Africa Cup Of Nations QualifierPublished: March 22, 2019
Izuchukwu Okosi highlights six things learnt from the 2019 AFCON qualifier between Nigeria and Seychelles at the Stephen Keshi stadium Asaba.
1. Rohr compensates Mr Consistent Omeruo
Super Eagles head coach Gernot Rohr handed a starting place to Leganes central defender Kenneth Omeruo at the expense of Leon Balogun following his regular playing time at the La Liga side.
Balogun has been rocked by injuries as well as lack of playing time with the duo of Louis Dunk and Shane Duffy preferred by Brighton manager Chris Houghton.
2. Onyekuru Thrives As Right Winger
On loan Galatasary of Turkey striker Henry Onyekuru had a barnstorming performance as he tied his markers in knots from the right wing.
The performance was duly rewarded by the second goal scored by the Eagles. Today's game shows that the Everton loanee is adept as a winger which is one of the benefits of such dead rubbers.
3. Rohr's Tactical Change With Onuachu's Debut
Super Eagles head coach Gernot Rhor introduced FC Midtjylland striker Paul Onuachu in the second half and the team played wit two strikers - the 'new Kanu' combining with Odion Ighalo.
Onuachu's link up play was promising although he made a faulty pass that would have instigated a counter attack.
Encouraging debut for the beanpole.
4. Ndidi Creator
Leicester City's Wilfred Ndidi created many chances for teammates going forward and also did his defensive duties astutely.
Alex Iwobi was substituted off in the second half but the creativity in midfield was not missing. He is simply an invaluable part of the Eagles.
5. Eagles Missed Chances
Before the goals came the Eagles missed lots of chances especially from aerial balls.
The friendly on Tuesday should be a better one in this regard hopefully.
6. Uzoho's Gaffe
Francis Uzoho's clanger saw the Eagles finish without a clean sheet. Perhaps it is time Rohr handed opportunities to other keepers as the former Nigeria youth international hasn't played much football in recent months.
Football News 24/7
- Chelsea Loanee Victor Moses Ruled Out Of Action For Two Weeks
- Ahmed Musa Ends Goal Drought & Mimics Coutinho's Controversial Goal Celebration Vs Man Utd
- Europa League Wrap : Arsenal's Iwobi, Slavia's Olayinka, Villarreal's Chukwueze Subbed In; Young GK Okonkwo Not In 18
- Arsenal Winger Iwobi Compares Arsene Wenger And Unai Emery
- Two Players Of Nigerian Descent Named In Germany Squad For U17 EURO
- What Everton Are Missing Due To Onyekuru's Work Permit Issue
- Deadline For Submission Of Super Eagles 23-Man AFCON Roster Revealed
- Highly-Rated Arsenal Goalkeeper Okonkwo Open To Representing Nigeria
- Flying Eagles Striker Yahaya Hits Double In Big Win For Sønderjyske
- Rapid Vienna, Toulouse Scouting Golden Eaglets Number 13 At U17 AFCON; Lille, Strasbourg In Tanzania
- African Players Transfers
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Brazil 2014 World Cup
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football