Nigerian-Born Winger Announces He Is Leaving Liverpool, Rejects Three-Year DealPublished: March 26, 2019
Ibadan-born winger Bobby Adekanye has announced he will leave Premier League giants Liverpool at the end of the 2018-19 season when his contract expires.
Although Serie A side Lazio have been mentioned as a possible transfer destination for Adekanye, the former Ajax Amsterdam and PSV wonderkid has refused to rule out a return to the Netherlands.
A product of the youth team of Barcelona, he explained that he rejected penning a three-year contract extension with the Anfield side after he was left out of the first team's pre-season tour of the United States.
''But that didn't happen in the end. That is disappointing and it has contributed to the fact that I do not want to renew my contract,'' Adekanye told Voetbalzone.
''If they promise such things and it doesn't happen, I don't know what will happen if I sign for three years.
''That confidence is no longer there, even though I still greatly respect the club.''
He continued : ''They don't just extend for three years, so maybe there was a schedule behind it. But I no longer have faith in that.
''In terms of money, things are fine, but you have nothing if there is no perspective behind it. Money will come later, I now need playing minutes.''
Adekanye, 20, made his international debut for Netherlands U20 national team against Mexico on March 22, going the distance in a 3-2 win.
Football News 24/7
- Bundesliga Wrap MD 28 : Awoniyi Starts; Ehizibue Subbed Out; Collins, Uduokhai Shine; Torunarigha Booked; Lookman Features
- SC Heerenveen Turn Down Eight Million Euros Bid From Chinese Club For Ejuke
- Official : Nigerian Federation President Confirms Rohr Will Stay On As Super Eagles Coach
- Photo Confirmation Of Nigerian Midfielder's Progress At Real Madrid
- Italian Football Pundit Cites Barcelona, Atletico Madrid Players As He Questions Osimhen's Price Tag
- Dusseldorf-Born GK On Why He Chose Nigeria Over Germany; Admiration For Enyeama
- Livescore Results Of The Latest Confrontations
- Glasgow Celtic Tipped As Frontrunners to Sign Former Liverpool Winger
- Wolverhampton Wanderers, Sheffield United-Linked Midfielder Yusuf Extends IFK Goteborg Contract
- 'It Was A Weird Feeling' - Super Eagles' Iwobi On Historic Goal Against England At Wembley
- African Players Transfers
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football