Man City Striker No Longer Eligible For Nigeria, England As FIFA Approves One-Time Switch To GermanyPublished: March 27, 2019
Manchester City striker Lukas Nmecha will represent Germany's national teams for the rest of his career after FIFA approved a one-time change of association.
Born in Hamburg 20 years ago to a Nigerian father and German mom, Nmecha was provisionally cap-tied to England before permanently pledging his international future to his country of birth.
Germany U21s coach Stefan Kuntz handed a debut to Nmecha when he introduced him on the hour mark against the Young Lions at the Vitality Stadium on Tuesday evening.
The German Football Association put in an appeal to FIFA for a change in allegiances and the Swiss-based organization approved the request few hours before the start of the match.
''It was quite an emotional situation. We first heard the good news when we arrived in the stadium, then I told Lukas and the others as we walked out onto the pitch for the inspection,'' Kuntz told DFB's official website.
''We were all so happy. Of course, it wasn’t an easy decision for Lukas to switch allegiance, but that speaks for the atmosphere of our U21s squad and its staff, who create a great and professional atmosphere in which the boys feel comfortable.
''And of course for the team, who made Lukas feel welcome in such a short space of time. Of course, he has helped himself because of his personality. ''
Nmecha helped England win the European U19 Championship in the summer of 2017, scoring in the semifinal against the Czech Republic as well as in the showpiece against Portugal.
Photo Credit : dfb.de
Football News 24/7
- SC Heerenveen Turn Down Eight Million Euros Bid From Chinese Club For Ejuke
- Official : Nigerian Federation President Confirms Rohr Will Stay On As Super Eagles Coach
- Photo Confirmation Of Nigerian Midfielder's Progress At Real Madrid
- Italian Football Pundit Cites Barcelona, Atletico Madrid Players As He Questions Osimhen's Price Tag
- Dusseldorf-Born GK On Why He Chose Nigeria Over Germany; Admiration For Enyeama
- Livescore Results Of The Latest Confrontations
- Glasgow Celtic Tipped As Frontrunners to Sign Former Liverpool Winger
- Wolverhampton Wanderers, Sheffield United-Linked Midfielder Yusuf Extends IFK Goteborg Contract
- 'It Was A Weird Feeling' - Super Eagles' Iwobi On Historic Goal Against England At Wembley
- Heerenveen Dazzler Ejuke Admits He Felt Bad After Missing Out On Dream Move To Liverpool
- African Players Transfers
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football