Dream Team VII Assistant Coach Touts Odey, Onuwa, Olatunbosun For Super EaglesPublished: March 29, 2019
Chief coach of MFM FC Fidelis Ilechukwu believes former stars Stephen Odey, Chukwuka Onuwa and Sikiru Olatunbosun who have gone on to sign for FC Zürich (Switzerland); Enyimba and Plateau United (both in Nigeria) respectively deserve places in the Super Eagles.
Ilechukwu who is one of the assistant coaches of the U-23 Eagles who qualified for the next round of qualifiers for the U-23 AFCON in June after romping to a 4-0 win over Libya on Monday spoke with allnigeriasoccer.com on the subject and also on how the Lagos club were able to replace the trio who dazzled fans with their repertoire of skills and goals.
"To start with, we miss these three incredible players. Odey, Olatunbosun and Onuwa and the other players played fantastic football," Ilechukwu told All Nigeria Soccer.
"However they felt they would advance their careers elsewhere which the club's management reluctantly accepted. We wanted them to stay but you can also understand their aspirations.
"These three players are good enough to play for the Super Eagles. Odey and Olatunbosun already played in a friendly game while Onuwa hasn't.
"For Onuwa, most people believe that his small height is a huge disadvantage to play in the Super Eagles but he's a magician on the ball.
''In Onuwa, there is a great player and we'll face him on Sunday (at the Agege Stadium) in the NPFL. He knows our team but we have no problems about that.''
Odey who has been a revelation for his Swiss club in the Swiss league has scored eight goals in 24 league appearances this season.
On how the club were able to replace the trio, Ilechukwu points to his man management skills.
"It was never going to be easy because those three played in the NNL before the NPFL. They understand each other but should I say that the players I have now are better because they came together under three months before the league started. I give it to the current ones.
"The club motivates them with bonuses and other incentives. Indiscipline is also punished but we balance it in order not to cause problems for us," the coach affectionately called 'The Sabi Coach' reiterated.
Photo Credit : fcz.ch
Football News 24/7
- Man City's Dele-Bashiru Starts, Bournemouth's Ofoborh Bench As Nigeria Annouce Starting XI Vs Qatar U20
- The Best Young Talents In La Liga : Villarreal's Chukwueze Joins Barca's Dembele, Real Madrid's Vinicius Jr. On 12-Man List
- 2019 U20 World Cup: Senegal Star Delighted To Break Odiaka's 34-Year-Old Record
- Ex-Flying Eagles Striker Warns Aigbogun's Team Of Tricky Opener Vs Qatar; Scared of Ukraine
- Manchester United Set To Part Company With Nigeria-Eligible Fullback
- Three Players To Watch Out For As Flying Eagles Begin Their World Cup Campaign
- How Nigeria Have Fared Previously In The FIFA U20 World Cup
- Manchester United On Brink Of Deal For Ajax Nigerian Wonderkid
- U20 World Cup : Senegal's Sagna Breaks Monday Odiaka's 34-Year-Old Record For Fastest Goal
- 2019 U20 World Cup: NFF Reveal The Four Defenders Likely To Start Against Qatar
- African Players Transfers
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Brazil 2014 World Cup
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football