Dream Team VII Assistant Coach Touts Odey, Onuwa, Olatunbosun For Super EaglesPublished: March 29, 2019
Chief coach of MFM FC Fidelis Ilechukwu believes former stars Stephen Odey, Chukwuka Onuwa and Sikiru Olatunbosun who have gone on to sign for FC Zürich (Switzerland); Enyimba and Plateau United (both in Nigeria) respectively deserve places in the Super Eagles.
Ilechukwu who is one of the assistant coaches of the U-23 Eagles who qualified for the next round of qualifiers for the U-23 AFCON in June after romping to a 4-0 win over Libya on Monday spoke with allnigeriasoccer.com on the subject and also on how the Lagos club were able to replace the trio who dazzled fans with their repertoire of skills and goals.
"To start with, we miss these three incredible players. Odey, Olatunbosun and Onuwa and the other players played fantastic football," Ilechukwu told All Nigeria Soccer.
"However they felt they would advance their careers elsewhere which the club's management reluctantly accepted. We wanted them to stay but you can also understand their aspirations.
"These three players are good enough to play for the Super Eagles. Odey and Olatunbosun already played in a friendly game while Onuwa hasn't.
"For Onuwa, most people believe that his small height is a huge disadvantage to play in the Super Eagles but he's a magician on the ball.
''In Onuwa, there is a great player and we'll face him on Sunday (at the Agege Stadium) in the NPFL. He knows our team but we have no problems about that.''
Odey who has been a revelation for his Swiss club in the Swiss league has scored eight goals in 24 league appearances this season.
On how the club were able to replace the trio, Ilechukwu points to his man management skills.
"It was never going to be easy because those three played in the NNL before the NPFL. They understand each other but should I say that the players I have now are better because they came together under three months before the league started. I give it to the current ones.
"The club motivates them with bonuses and other incentives. Indiscipline is also punished but we balance it in order not to cause problems for us," the coach affectionately called 'The Sabi Coach' reiterated.
Photo Credit : fcz.ch
Football News 24/7
- Chelsea-Owned Winger Moses Earns Team Of The Week Honours In Turkey
- Chelsea Hero Nevin On Abraham : Chelsea Fans Showed Their True Colours Vs Leicester City
- Two Nigeria-Eligible Central Defenders Named To Official Major League Soccer Team of the Week
- Confirmed : Former Nigeria U23 Captain Joins Albanian Side FK Kukesi
- Chelsea Coach Lampard Watches Anjorin Score Against Liverpool In Premier League 2
- Chelsea Loanee Moses Scores And Assists For Fenerbahce With Cotton Wool In Left Ear
- Official : U17 World Cup Winner Kingsley Michael Extends Bologna Contract
- Joe Aribo : Super Eagles To Benefit From Steven Gerrard's Experience
- Nigeria Battling It Out With England For Promising Chelsea Goalkeeper
- Arsenal Free-kick Specialist Receives Maiden Call-Up To Nigeria National Team
- African Players Transfers
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football