Should Nigerian Federation Continue Their Pursuit Of Queens Park Rangers Young Star, Eze?Published: April 07, 2019
It was reported two years ago that QPR attacking midfielder Eberechi Eze trained with the Super Eagles of Nigeria prior to a friendly match.
Ebere showed his desire to dump England for the West African country, but Gernot Rohr didn't extend an invitation to him after the training camp in London.
Having seen that Rohr isn't ready to capture the 20-year-old, England U20 manager Paul Simpson handed him a debut call-up to camp late last year.
It doesn't stop there, the former Wycombe star went on to make his debut for the Young Lions against Italy U20 and has earned four caps to date.
Rohr's decision to ignore Eze, which gave England an upper hand in the race for the player's service, understandably got Nigerians fuming because he was in a top form at that time.
However, Eze's form has drastically reduced since the start of the year. After featuring in 41 games in all competitions, the 20-year-old has scored just four goals, giving rise to the question whether NFF should continue their pursuit of the youngster or cool their interest in him.
Judging by Eze's current form, it won't be surprising to see the three-time African Champions ignore their desire to see the England-born in Super Eagles jersey.
Nonetheless, his current form shouldn't be the deciding factor because every player has their off-form period. Instead, NFF should think about the future and the player's obvious qualities to dictate play.
Mikel Obi, who is Nigeria's undisputed playmaker, will end his international career sooner than later, leaving Alex Iwobi as the only active candidate for the playmaking position.
Securing Eze's international future means adding more competition and youthfulness to the Super Eagles team, which will do the team whole lot of good in the future.
Photo Credit : qpr.co.uk
Football News 24/7
- Man City's Dele-Bashiru Starts, Bournemouth's Ofoborh Bench As Nigeria Annouce Starting XI Vs Qatar U20
- The Best Young Talents In La Liga : Villarreal's Chukwueze Joins Barca's Dembele, Real Madrid's Vinicius Jr. On 12-Man List
- 2019 U20 World Cup: Senegal Star Delighted To Break Odiaka's 34-Year-Old Record
- Ex-Flying Eagles Striker Warns Aigbogun's Team Of Tricky Opener Vs Qatar; Scared of Ukraine
- Manchester United Set To Part Company With Nigeria-Eligible Fullback
- Three Players To Watch Out For As Flying Eagles Begin Their World Cup Campaign
- How Nigeria Have Fared Previously In The FIFA U20 World Cup
- Manchester United On Brink Of Deal For Ajax Nigerian Wonderkid
- U20 World Cup : Senegal's Sagna Breaks Monday Odiaka's 34-Year-Old Record For Fastest Goal
- 2019 U20 World Cup: NFF Reveal The Four Defenders Likely To Start Against Qatar
- African Players Transfers
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Brazil 2014 World Cup
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football