Should Nigerian Federation Continue Their Pursuit Of Queens Park Rangers Young Star, Eze?Published: April 07, 2019
It was reported two years ago that QPR attacking midfielder Eberechi Eze trained with the Super Eagles of Nigeria prior to a friendly match.
Ebere showed his desire to dump England for the West African country, but Gernot Rohr didn't extend an invitation to him after the training camp in London.
Having seen that Rohr isn't ready to capture the 20-year-old, England U20 manager Paul Simpson handed him a debut call-up to camp late last year.
It doesn't stop there, the former Wycombe star went on to make his debut for the Young Lions against Italy U20 and has earned four caps to date.
Rohr's decision to ignore Eze, which gave England an upper hand in the race for the player's service, understandably got Nigerians fuming because he was in a top form at that time.
However, Eze's form has drastically reduced since the start of the year. After featuring in 41 games in all competitions, the 20-year-old has scored just four goals, giving rise to the question whether NFF should continue their pursuit of the youngster or cool their interest in him.
Judging by Eze's current form, it won't be surprising to see the three-time African Champions ignore their desire to see the England-born in Super Eagles jersey.
Nonetheless, his current form shouldn't be the deciding factor because every player has their off-form period. Instead, NFF should think about the future and the player's obvious qualities to dictate play.
Mikel Obi, who is Nigeria's undisputed playmaker, will end his international career sooner than later, leaving Alex Iwobi as the only active candidate for the playmaking position.
Securing Eze's international future means adding more competition and youthfulness to the Super Eagles team, which will do the team whole lot of good in the future.
Photo Credit : qpr.co.uk
Football News 24/7
- Chelsea-Owned Winger Moses Earns Team Of The Week Honours In Turkey
- Chelsea Hero Nevin On Abraham : Chelsea Fans Showed Their True Colours Vs Leicester City
- Two Nigeria-Eligible Central Defenders Named To Official Major League Soccer Team of the Week
- Confirmed : Former Nigeria U23 Captain Joins Albanian Side FK Kukesi
- Chelsea Coach Lampard Watches Anjorin Score Against Liverpool In Premier League 2
- Chelsea Loanee Moses Scores And Assists For Fenerbahce With Cotton Wool In Left Ear
- Official : U17 World Cup Winner Kingsley Michael Extends Bologna Contract
- Joe Aribo : Super Eagles To Benefit From Steven Gerrard's Experience
- Nigeria Battling It Out With England For Promising Chelsea Goalkeeper
- Arsenal Free-kick Specialist Receives Maiden Call-Up To Nigeria National Team
- African Players Transfers
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football