Abraham and Tomori Chances As Lampard Speaks To ChelseaPublished: June 25, 2019
The Frank Lampard to Chelsea story is gathering pace as the Blues legend has been granted permission by Derby County to speak with his former club.
A club statement by The Rams on Tuesday, 25 June confirmed the go ahead talks and hopefully attention will shift to pre season preparations.
The future of two English youth internationals of Nigerian descent; Tammy Abraham and Fikayo Tomori is unclear at the moment: will they be part of the Blues in the 2019/2020 season or will they be shipped out on loan or perhaps sold.
Tomori was a player last season at Derby County while Abraham played for promoted Aston Villa - both on loan from Chelsea.
Incidentally it was Villa that defeated Derby County in the playoff final at Wembley stadium on May 27 that guaranteed them promotion.
With the two transfer windows ban handed to Chelsea by FIFA over their dealings with youth players and the move to Real Madrid by Eden Hazard Lampard could be forced to work with the players already in the squad at the moment and unavoidably some players on loan elsewhere.
Abraham however is likely to get more playing time under Lampard than Tomori as there are less number of players to contend with in attack.
On loan Argentina striker Gonzalo Higuain is reportedly hoping to return to Juventus which leaves Olivier Giroud as the one to spearhead the Blues attack next season.
Abraham could get his chances in the cup games especially the FA Cup and Carabao Cup.
For Tomori he will contend with stars like Antonio Rudiger, David Luiz, Kurt Zouma and Christensen but a smart soccer predictions is that Chelsea will be keeping the central defender and resist the temptation to fan him out on loan no thanks to the transfer bans.
Lampard's managerial career is yet to be tested sufficiently but having been granted permission by Derby County to speak to the Stamford Bridge billionaires the pre season friendlies will be pointer to how he intends to manage the club and what the futures of the young players with Nigerian blood will be.
Should they get their chances and be part of the Chelsea squad after the summer transfer window rounds off in England and across Europe in August, Abraham and Tomori will do well to knuckle down, shun attitudes associated with young players.
The sheer talent is there. Should Abraham play to his potential, fans' soccer predictions will definitely include that he is (capable of) getting double figures in terms of goals scored.
At Chelsea much premium is not placed on the youth but the tried and tested superstars, a situation that almost led to the exit of Hudson Odoi who was a subject of interest from Bayern Munich.
Abraham was in form during the promotion playoffs in the colours of Aston Villa. Tomori got rave reviews for his promise.
The onus is on both youngsters to make the opportunity they are likely to get count next season.
Photo Credit : chelseafc.com
Football News 24/7
- Sports Minister Sunday Dare Questions Rohr : Are We Happy About Where Our Football Is At The Moment?
- Exclusive : Chelsea Offer Talented Nigerian Defender New Deal Ahead Of Next Season
- Golden Eaglets: Like Cristiano Ronaldo or Fabio Paim?
- Ex-Nigeria U20 Invitee Threading The Right Path At Stoke City, Stars In Cup Victory
- Nigeria Football Federation Target Signs New Contract With Chelsea To Fend Off Interest From Arsenal
- Trabzonspor's Nigerian Striker Walking A Tightrope Ahead Of Galatasaray Clash
- Toulouse, Angers, Amiens Interested In Ex-Golden Eaglets Star Due To Osimhen's Exploits With Lille
- 2009 U17 World Cup MVP On Why He Gave Up Football Despite Interest From Chelsea
- Arsenal Coach Emery Runs The Rule Over Young Nigerian Midfielder Ahead Of Potential Debut
- The Super Eagles Star Arsenal Have Been Advised To Sign To Save Their Season
- African Players Transfers
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football