Three Reasons Why Paul Onuachu Is Struggling At AFCON 2019Published: July 12, 2019
FC Midtjylland center-forward Paul Onuachu got his first call-up to the Super Eagles of Nigeria during the AFCON 2019 qualifiers after series of eye-catching performances for his Danish club.
The player is good in the air based on his height and scored some headed goals during the 2018-2019 campaign.
Onuachu made his competitive debut for the three-time African champions in the final AFCON qualifying game against Seychelles which ended 3-1 in Nigeria's favor.
His quick goal against Egypt in a friendly encounter won the heart of Gernot Rohr who didn't think twice before naming the player in his final 23-man AFCON squad.
However, the 25-year-old is having a less-impressive tournament in Egypt as he hasn't really justified his inclusion in the team.
Onuachu is known for his goalscoring prowess but he is still searching for his maiden AFCON goal despite playing three matches.
What could be the possible reasons behind his below-par display in Egypt? Allnigeriasoccer.com provides top three answers to the question.
Putting up a fine display while playing for Super Eagles requires a lot of experience and determination.
In Onuachu's case, there is determination to succeed but the young man lacks the required experience.
Like most of his team-mates, this is his first AFCON tournament and his first time of playing back-to-back competitive games for the Super Eagles.
He played just three international matches (excluding the closed door friendly game with Senegal) prior to the AFCON, hence, he's not an experienced international and it's showing in Egypt.
2. Eagles Are Not Playing To His Strength
The 25-year-old is known for his ability to powerfully head the ball past goalkeepers and his teammates are expected to utilize his strong point.
Unfortunately, that's not happening in Egypt as Super Eagles wingers, especially Ahmed Musa, often choose to make low crosses into the opponent's box.
His height and ability to beat goalies with his head has not been put into massive use, no thanks to poor crosses from the wingers.
3. Limited Game-time
Though the FC Midtjylland striker has featured in three matches in Egypt, he has managed just one start so far.
He hasn't spent much time on the pitch, therefore, there is insufficient time to showcase his class and qualities.
Ighalo's importance to the team is arguably the major reason why the 25-year-old isn't getting much action and that won't change any time soon.
Photo Credit : cafonline.com
Football News 24/7
- Okoye On Why He Chose Nigeria Over Germany, Super Eagles Training, Competition With GKs
- Recovery Session For Super Eagles Starters Vs Benin Iwobi, Ndidi, Ajayi; Musa Trains Fully
- Fenerbahce Looking To Send Victor Moses Back To Chelsea In January
- FC Midtjylland Latest Club To Pass Up Chance To Sign Golden Eagles Striker
- AFCONQ: Musa On Starting On The Bench Against Benin; Rohr Shares Advice From Substantive Captain
- Cypriot Club Move Ahead Of Brentford In Race For Former Nigeria U23 Invitee
- AFCONQ: Ahmed Musa Fears For Some Super Eagles Stars Ahead Of Trip To Lesotho
- 'The Quality We Have Abroad Is Higher' - Rohr Writes Off NPFL Players Chances Of Playing For Eagles
- Rohr Gives Reasons Why He Cap-tied Glasgow Rangers Star In AFCONQ Vs Benin
- How Leicester, Everton, Bordeaux, Lille, Paderborn Reacted To Super Eagles First Post-AFCON Win
- African Players Transfers
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football