'A Lot Of Historic Players (Zidane) Of French Football Came From Here' -Ex-Sunderland Star Maja On Why He Joined BordeauxPublished: July 22, 2019
Former Sunderland star Josh Maja has revealed why he joined Bordeaux despite being courted by a plethora of teams in England in the January transfer window.
Following a blistering start to the 2018-2019 season and with his contract set to run out, the young striker was linked with possible moves to Crystal Palace, Tottenham Hotspur, Huddersfield Town and Cardiff City plus clubs in the Bundesliga.
Therefore, Maja had a difficult decision to make but eventually chose to join Bordeaux because of the history of the club which produced famous players such as Gernot Rohr, Alain Giresse, Bixente Lizarazu, Jean Tigana and Zinedine Zidane.
Speaking to Get French Football News, Maja said : ''Because Bordeaux are a massive club in France and have a massive city.
''A lot of the historic players (Zinedine Zidane) of French football came from here. That was one of the reasons.
''It was just about the way the club was going and is going now. A lot of young players are coming through.
''I think that it is a good chance for me to try to get regular football, week in, week out, at the top level. In one of Europe’s top 5 leagues. I think that was the main reason for coming here.''
Prior to joining Bordeaux, Maja netted 15 goals in 24 league appearances for Sunderland in the first half of the 2018-19 campaign.
Photo Credit : girondins.com
Football News 24/7
- U21 TOTW Europe's Top 5 Leagues : Osimhen Joins Man Utd, Liverpool Starlets In XI
- Nigeria International Striker Left Out Of Club Brugge Squad To Face Manchester United
- Super Eagles Next AFCON Opponents: Who Are They, Strengths, Weaknesses, Star Players
- International Tug Of War Over Bukayo Saka : Arsenal New Darling Reveals He Has Visited Nigeria
- Iheanacho : Should Leicester Have Been Awarded A Penalty Vs Man City? Ex-EPL Referee Has His Say
- Nigerians Abroad : Rizespor's Umar, Maccabi Tel Aviv's Ofoedu, Poli Iasi's Omoh Find The Net
- Most Efficient Nigerian Strikers Europe Top 5 Leagues : Two Players Above Lille's Osimhen
- Leicester City Expert Names The Top Candidate To Replace Injured Ndidi & It's Not Choudhury
- 'They Know What I've Done For Them In The Past' - Ighalo Appreciates Support Of Watford Fans
- Teenage Striker Eligible For Nigeria Named In Bayern's Traveling Squad To Face Chelsea
- African Players Transfers
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football