'A Lot Of Historic Players (Zidane) Of French Football Came From Here' -Ex-Sunderland Star Maja On Why He Joined BordeauxPublished: July 22, 2019
Former Sunderland star Josh Maja has revealed why he joined Bordeaux despite being courted by a plethora of teams in England in the January transfer window.
Following a blistering start to the 2018-2019 season and with his contract set to run out, the young striker was linked with possible moves to Crystal Palace, Tottenham Hotspur, Huddersfield Town and Cardiff City plus clubs in the Bundesliga.
Therefore, Maja had a difficult decision to make but eventually chose to join Bordeaux because of the history of the club which produced famous players such as Gernot Rohr, Alain Giresse, Bixente Lizarazu, Jean Tigana and Zinedine Zidane.
Speaking to Get French Football News, Maja said : ''Because Bordeaux are a massive club in France and have a massive city.
''A lot of the historic players (Zinedine Zidane) of French football came from here. That was one of the reasons.
''It was just about the way the club was going and is going now. A lot of young players are coming through.
''I think that it is a good chance for me to try to get regular football, week in, week out, at the top level. In one of Europe’s top 5 leagues. I think that was the main reason for coming here.''
Prior to joining Bordeaux, Maja netted 15 goals in 24 league appearances for Sunderland in the first half of the 2018-19 campaign.
Photo Credit : girondins.com
Football News 24/7
- Lille's Osimhen Responds To Comparisons To Arsenal's Record Signing Pepe
- Leeds United Starlet Vows To Commit Future To Ireland After Alleged Bullying By Nigeria U17 Coaches
- 'Rohr Should Call Azeez To Super Eagles Vs Brazil' - Fans React As Granada Star Outshines Messi
- Bournemouth Academy Product Flies To Turkey To Join Nigeria U17s; 21-Player List Unveiled
- Battle Against PSG, Real Madrid Defenders : Why Brazil Friendly Will Enhance Osimhen's Growth
- Faustino Anjorin Features As Chelsea Extend Club Record With Win At Southampton
- 'VAR To Tottenham's Rescue Once Again' - Fans React To Ndidi's Disallowed Goal
- EPL Wrap : Ndidi Goes 90; Iwobi Subbed In; Balogun, Iheanacho, Success, Dele-Bashiru Not In 18
- Versatile Fullback Aina Debuts For Chelsea In The 2019-2020 Season
- 'Germany Didn't Want To Play Against Us'- Brazil Coach Asked About Quality Of Super Eagles
- African Players Transfers
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football