Former NPFL Hotshot Aneke Discusses Ighalo's Retirement From Super EaglesPublished: July 24, 2019
The decision of Super Eagles striker Odion Ighalo to retire from international football came as a shock to many Nigerians but former international Jude Aneke insists the country must move on from the development.
The Shanghai Shenhua striker who has scored seven goals in nine league games for his club in 2019 copped an injury in Nigeria's third place final win over Tunisia at the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations in Egypt last week Wednesday, July 17.
"Ighalo's decision to retire is best known to him, in anyway Nigeria must move on," Aneke who has one cap for Nigeria and was the Nigeria league top scorer in 2012 with Kaduna United with 20 goals, a record feat at that time, told allnigeriasoccer.com.
"Ighalo is an experienced striker and arguably the best in Africa going by his top scorer award in the AFCON and the qualifiers before that however we must encourage younger strikers to aspire to be like Ighalo.
"If he rescinds that decision as has been claimed by some people, it's not bad, but we also have to respect his decision and not put him under pressure," Aneke stressed.
Aneke also wished the former Watford striker speedy recovery from his knee injury.
Ighalo's Chinese Super League side on Wednesday afternoon defeated John Mikel Obi's former Chinese club Tiajin Teda 3-1 in the Chinese FA Cup.
"It's sad to pick up such injury and in the team's AFCON match. Chinese clubs and indeed other clubs pay big wages to their players. I hope he recovers from this setback," Aneke said.
Football News 24/7
- Chelsea Boss Lampard On Battles Between Abraham And Van Dijk, Tomori & Liverpool
- Leicester City Star Ndidi Leading The Interception Stats In Europe's Top Five Leagues
- Liverpool Icon Reveals One Key Reason Why Glasgow Rangers Signed Ojo On Loan
- 'A New Star Is Born', 'A Live Wire': English Press Laud Impressive Saka MOTM Performance Against Frankfurt
- Future Stars Crash Out of 2019 Bet9ja Royal Cup
- Former Tottenham Manager: Tammy Abraham Deserves Chelsea Starts Over Giroud
- Europa League : Lazio's Adekanye Makes Pro Debut; Liverpool Loanee Ojo Nets Brilliant Goal
- Arsenal Coach Hails Saka After Teenager Announces His Arrival To The World
- 'Saka The New Messi' - Arsenal Fans React To Winger's MOTM Display Vs Eintracht Frankfurt
- Things Get Better And Better For Rohr Pre-Brazil As Another Fitness Doubt Spotted Training
- African Players Transfers
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football