Iwobi Faces Tough Battle In New Season As Lille President Confirms Transfer Of Pepe To ArsenalPublished: July 31, 2019
Alex Iwobi faces a tough battle to regain his spot in Arsenal's starting line-up in the new season with Ivory Coast winger Nicolas Pépé set to be unveiled by the Gunners in the coming days.
Manager Unai Emery is expected to line up with a front three of Alexandre Lacazette, Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang and Pepe when the season begins which will see Iwobi relegated to the bench.
Since breaking into the Arsenal first team three years ago, last season was the Nigeria international's most productive season, having had a hand in 14 goals (6 goals, 8 assists) in 51 matches across all competitions.
Lille President Gerard Lopez has confirmed the information about Pepe's upcoming move to the Emirates Stadium which would make him the most expensive African player in history.
''He is the one who made the decision, I think it should be (made official) in the next 24 hours,'' Lopez told RMC.
''It is €80m fixed. If we pushed this deal out a little bit longer, we could have had 5 or 6 offers of the same size.
''Through discussions with Nico and his agents, things focused on the certain clubs that we wanted to focus on, the two projects that interested the player.''
Iwobi was one of the most used Arsenal players in Emery's first season in charge, starting 32 games in all competitions.
Photo Credit : arsenal.com
Football News 24/7
- 'Every Player Is Important' - Arsenal Boss Suggests Saka Is Not On The Bench To Make Up The Numbers
- Tomori Admits One Chelsea Player Played A Part In His First Premier League Goal
- Arsenal Legend Reveals The One Problem Iwobi Had At The Emirates
- Nigeria International Center-back Stars On Competitive Debut For Real Madrid
- To Turn Pro This Week : Arsenal's Azeez Names Saka, Barca & Real Madrid Legends As Role Models
- Two Arsenal Goalkeepers Willing To Play For Nigeria Are Injured
- Nigerian Exports : PAOK's Akpom, West Brom's Ajayi, Hearts' Uche, Rosenborg's Adegbenro Score
- Lampard Reveals He Has Not Spoken To Abraham About Nigeria, Tips Striker For England Call-Up
- Everton Star Iwobi Reveals When He Decided To Leave Arsenal
- How Ndidi Reacted To Leicester City's Loss To Manchester United
- African Players Transfers
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football