EFL : Salford City's Dieseruvwe Makes History; QPR's Eze, Rotherham's Ladapo, Wycombe's Onyedinma, Lincoln City's Akinde On TargetPublished: August 03, 2019
A round-up of Nigerian players that were on target for their respective clubs on the opening day of the Football League season on Saturday, August 3.
Nigerian players with dual nationalities and have played competitively for the senior national teams of other countries have been omitted.
At the bet365 Stadium, Queens Park Rangers beat a Stoke City side without Oghenekaro Etebo 2-1, with two Nigerians involved in both goals scored by the visitors.
QPR took the lead on 8 minutes as Bright Osayi-Samuel crossed for Jordan Hugill who made no mistake, before Eberechi Eze doubled the advantage seven minutes into the second half.
In the League One, former Crystal Palace striker Freddie Ladapo netted on his competitive debut for Rotherham United as they claimed a 2-1 win at AFC Wimbledon.
The former Flying Eagles invitee bundled the ball home in the 29th minute to make it 1-0.
An 81st minute penalty converted by John Akinde helped Lincoln City secure a 2-0 win against Accrington Stanley at Sincil Bank in Lincolnshire.
Still in the English third tier, Lagos-born striker Fred Onyedinma scored Wycombe Wanderers second goal in their 2-0 win over Bolton Wanderers. Adebayo Akinfenwa provided the assist.
A division lower, Salford City began their campaign in the League Two with a 2-0 victory against Stevenage thanks to a brace from Emmanuel Dieseruvwe.
Mani scored Salford City's first ever Football League goal in the 29th minute and increased their lead two minutes after the interval.
Photo Credit : qpr.co.uk
Football News 24/7
- 'I Know The Category I Belong In Super Eagles' - Mikel Agu Not Surprised Over World Cup Axe
- 'Both Of Them Were Serious Heartbreaks' - Iwobi Opens Up On Late Goals Conceded Vs Algeria, Argentina
- Ejuke Explains His Connection To Dutch-Born Heerenveen Midfielder Courted By Nigeria
- Premier League Clubs, Barca, Real Madrid Handed Transfer Boost As Osimhen Rejects Napoli
- Official : Eyoma Returns To Tottenham Hotspur; Adebayo-Smith, Edun Retained By Lincoln City
- Proof That Manchester United Center Back Mengi Is Not Eligible To Represent Nigeria
- What Does The Future Hold For Amos At Tottenham Hotspur?
- Olympiakos-Linked Striker Onyekuru Reveals His Preferred Destination
- Why Manchester United's Fastest Player Is Perfect For Nigeria Youth Teams
- Official : Two Nigerian Youngsters To Depart Norwich City At The End Of June
- African Players Transfers
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football