Iwobi's Father Reveals The Real Reason Why Super Eagles Star Departed Arsenal For EvertonPublished: August 10, 2019
The father of new Everton winger Alex Iwobi, Chuka Iwobi, has given more insight on the rational behind the deadline day signing of his son for the Toffees after over a decade as a player of Arsenal.
Chuka Iwobi spoke exclusively to All Nigeria Soccer about the transfer dealing that shocked so many Arsenal and Nigeria fans and indeed confirmed that the skillful forward who is adept playing as a "No 10" wanted to play primarily as a midfielder.
"Alex is now officially an Everton player - A new challenge for him but a very bold decision with the potential to grow into a bigger and better player playing in his preferred No 10 role," Mr Iwobi stated.
Iwobi senior who himself was a former footballer of Vasco Da Gama FC of Enugu reiterated that his son was not afraid of competition from other incoming players at Arsenal.
There has been chain reactions from supporters in Nigeria and abroad who have expressed belief that the Nigerian chickened out due to the great piece of transfer business by the Gunners who signed such stars as Nicolas Pepe and Dani Ceballos (on loan).
"Nobody should shy away from competition and Alex is moving to a club who have been following his progress from when he was young," the Onitsha born medical doctor affectionately called 'Mehala' whilst as a player in his youthful days told allnigeriasoccer.com.
"Many thanks to Nigerians for their support. We as family thought seriously about it and felt that this is an opportunity for him to grow," Iwobi further stated.
Iwobi was ineligible to make his debut for Everton in their Premier League opener against Crystal Palace because the paperwork was submitted after the 1700 hours deadline on Thursday.
Football News 24/7
- 'An exciting attacking threat' - Watford hero likens brand new signing Kalu to Emmanuel Dennis
- Arsenal's Anglo-Nigerian defender changes agent ahead of possible loan move
- Official : Promising winger Mukairu completes move to Danish giants FC Copenhagen
- Done Deal : Doncaster Rovers loan in West Ham United's Irish-Nigerian striker
- Super Eagles invitee gives his approval to Rangers loan capture of Man Utd's Ivory Coast star
- Southampton interested in Nigeria-eligible midfielder 14 years after Chelsea beat them to signature
- The reason Napoli striker Victor Osimhen is angry and disappointed
- Rangers boss reveals why he resisted the temptation to include Aribo in squad vs Livingston
- Confirmed : MLS club Columbus Crew loan in Real Zaragoza's Nigerian midfielder
- 'I could be going out on loan' - Arsenal's Anglo-Nigerian RB makes revelation about temporary transfer
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- My Betting Sites Nigeria
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football