Three Reasons Why Aribo And Okoye's Maiden Call-Ups Are Perfectly Timed By RohrPublished: August 16, 2019
Super Eagles manager Gernot Rohr released his 23-man squad for the upcoming friendly game against Ukraine, and two youngsters were handed their debut call-up to the team.
Glasgow Rangers' midfielder Joe Aribo and young goalie Maduka Okoye of Fortuna Duesseldorf are the new players expected to hit the team's camp in September.
Looking at the newly released list, allnigeriasoccer.com provides three reasons why Rohr should be applauded for his decision to extend debut invitations to the two youngsters barely one month after AFCON 2019.
1. The Need For Goalscoring Midfielder
The Super Eagles scored nine goals in seven AFCON matches but only one of them was scored by a midfielder, Alex Iwobi, who was utilized as an attacking midfielder throughout the campaign.
Putting this stat into consideration, it is important that the gaffer brings in a goalscoring midfielder as soon as possible, hence, Aribo's call-up is well-timed.
Three goals from seven matches in all competitions this season is a confirmation of his goalscoring prowess, which will definitely add quality to the midfield setup.
2. The Need For Young Goalkeeper As Replacement for Aging Akpeyi and Ezenwa
Akpeyi was Rohr's first-choice goalkeeper in Egypt but he was far from convincing. Ezenwa featured in one of the seven matches but couldn't prevent himself from picking the ball from his net on two different occasions against Madagascar.
Judging by their unimpressive displays in Egypt coupled with their age, Rohr has no option but to scout for young and talented goalkeepers.
The largely untested German-born goalkeeper Maduka Okoye seems the best available option for the manager at the moment.
3. Aribo's Current Form
Aribo's current form merits an international invitation from Rohr as the gaffer can't turn a blind eye to a player who has three goals in seven games despite playing behind strikers.
His invitation to the team can't come in a better time than now because his strength and composure on the ball makes him the perfect replacement for Mikel Obi who retired from international football last month.
Football News 24/7
- 'The Fact That Ndidi Is Not Playing' - Liverpool Icon Explains Why Leicester Boss Tweaked Formation
- Super Eagles Striker Predicts Good Tidings For Nigerian Players In Aftermath Of Ighalo's Man Utd Move
- Barcelona's Nigeria Skipper Smashes Personal Record After Hat-trick Vs Logrono
- West Ham's Odubeko, Man City's Edozie, Tottenham's Etete Score In U18 PL Matches
- How Monaco-Owned Winger Henry Onyekuru Rose To The Top
- 'He's Always Wanted This'- Watford's Success Delighted Big Brother Ighalo Joined Man Utd
- EPL: Iwobi To Overtake Nigeria's Record Appearance Holder Ameobi In One Key Stat If He Starts Vs Arsenal
- Brand New Signing Fiabema Makes His Debut For Chelsea In 4-0 Rout Of Brighton U18s
- French Clubs, Inter Milan, AC Milan, Roma, Napoli Run The Rule Over Arsenal Winger Saka Vs Olympiakos
- Official : Major League Soccer Club Toronto FC Sign Enugu-Born Striker
- African Players Transfers
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football