Chelsea Striker Explains Why He Snubbed English Clubs In Favour Of Loan Move To RodaPublished: September 05, 2019
Chelsea starlet Ike Ugbo has revealed that some unnamed English clubs were battling it out with Roda JC for his signature before he opted to move to the Netherlands in the summer transfer window.
Touted as one of the top talents at the Chelsea Academy, Ugbo struggled to live up to his billing during his loan spells at Barnsley, Milton Keynes Dons and Scunthorpe United, and would have remained in England this season if not for a phone call from Roda manager Jean-Paul de Jong.
In 46 appearances in the Football League, the former England U17 star managed to score only four goals.
''When Roda JC presented himself, we decided to ignore the interest of English clubs and move towards a transfer to the Netherlands,'' Ugbo explained to Roda's official webpage.
''Dutch football is more tactical and more technology-oriented than the lower divisions in England. On the internet I searched for information about Roda JC and I saw a beautiful, large and filled stadium.''
The Roda number nine continued : ''I was immediately impressed, but the decisive answer was the telephone call from Jean-Paul de Jong.
''I was still in London when the coach called me. He mentioned my strengths and stated the position he had in mind for me. There was a lot of confidence in that.
''I immediately had a good feeling and greatly appreciated how he approached me. Never before had I had such a personal conversation with a coach.
''Although I had several options, I informed my agent that I only wanted to go to Roda JC."
Ike Ugbo's parents and two sisters were in the stands when the Chelsea loanee netted on his home debut in a 2-1 loss to NEC Nijmegen on August 23.
Photo Credit : rodajckerkrade.nl
Football News 24/7
- Super Eagles Left-Back Jamilu Collins Sets New Bundesliga Record
- Good News For Nigeria As Chelsea's Abraham Opens Door To Future Super Eagles Call-up
- 2019 Bet9ja Royal Cup: Harrison Chukwuji Bangs Tournament's First Hat-trick
- Upset in 2019 Bet9ja Royal Cup Opener
- Rohr Names One Super Eagles Player Who Impressed Him Against Ukraine
- England Coach Joins Bandwagon In Praise Of Chelsea Striker Tammy Abraham
- Nigerian Teenagers To Keep An Eye On: Arsenal Goal-machine Who Likens Himself To Aubameyang
- Aston Villa Run The Rule Over Two Nigeria Internationals In France
- Is Chukwueze's Spot In Villarreal Starting Line-up Under Threat?
- AFCON 2019 Top Scorer Is Back; Bursapor's Shehu, AIK's Obasi, Heracles' Dessers Strike
- African Players Transfers
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football