Liverpool Give Awoniyi Two Years To Obtain Work Permit Or Leave ClubPublished: September 17, 2019
Taiwo Awoniyi has explained that Liverpool first team coach Jurgen Klopp played a key role in his loan move to German Bundesliga club Mainz 05.
Klopp spent eighteen years at Mainz in different capacities, first as a player before he was appointed coach in 2001.
Taiwo has embarked on his sixth loan spell since his arrival at Liverpool in 2015, having previously spent time at FSV Frankfurt, NEC Nijmegen, Mouscron (2) and KAA Gent.
The Nigeria U23 international revealed that Liverpool expect him to be eligible for a British work permit within two years and both parties would end their collaboration if the document is not issued.
''For me, Jurgen Klopp is the best coach so far that I have met in my career,'' Awoniyi told Sporting Life Nigeria.
''If not for an injury that I had during the pre-season maybe Nigerians would have seen me on the tour of the United States with Liverpool in the pre-season but we had a discussion also and he talked quite good.
''This was why I went to Mainz because it was where Klopp started there. It is like his home and he said Taiwo you can go there and make it your home too.
''He said hopefully I would get my chance there and that maybe in the next one or two years the work permit is given I could come back but if not I would have to move on with my career.''
Awoniyi was a non-playing substitute for Mainz in their last two matches in the Bundesliga but was introduced off the bench against SC Freiburg and Borussia Mönchengladbach.
Football News 24/7
- 'Cash Plus Lacazette For Osimhen In January..' - Fans React As Lille Striker Nets 9th League Goal
- Rangers' Joe Aribo On Why He Chose Nigeria Over England; Best Position; Inheriting Mikel's No 10 Shirt & More
- Official : John Junior Igbarumah Joins New Club In Sweden
- 'Paying £30m-plus For Iwobi Looked A Panic Buy' - Everton Criticized Over Signing Of Nigeria Star From Arsenal
- 'I Want To Play With Best Player In The World, Messi' - Adeyemi Reacts To Barca, Liverpool, Arsenal Interest
- Likely Cause Of Victor Moses' Constant Muscle Injury Revealed By Experts
- Marseille Warned To Pay Attention To Bordeaux New Star Josh Maja
- Italian Serie Club Interested In Signing Eredivisie Top Scorer Dessers
- SC Heerenveen Dazzler Ejike Names Okocha, PSG & Real Madrid Stars As His Footballing Idols
- Does Victor Moses Have A Future At Chelsea?
- African Players Transfers
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football