Lille's Osimhen Responds To Comparisons To Arsenal's Record Signing PepePublished: September 22, 2019
Ahead of Lille's Ligue 1 clash against Rennes on Sunday afternoon, Super Eagles striker Victor Osimhen has expressed his elation at being compared to Arsenal's record signing Nicolas Pepe.
Osimhen was bought by the French side as replacement for the Gunners' £72m acquisition and is already repaying the decision to snap him up from Belgian Pro League outfit Sporting Charleroi.
Osimhen was speaking at the press conference on Saturday evening where he expressed gratitude for the trust in him.
"Big respect to Nicolas Pepe for what he did for the club," Osimhen who has scored five league goals in five appearances said at the press conference as quoted by InsideFutbol.com.
"Like a lot of people say, I'm replacing Nicolas Pepe, he scored some beautiful and wonderful goals, but I think I am near to bringing in my own qualities to the team.
"Nicolas Pepe and Victor Osimhen are quite different players, so it's OK if ever some people try to compare me and him.
"I feel good to be compared to such a great player.
Lille are placed seventh in the table with nine points but could rise to second place with an emphatic win away at fourth placed Rennes.
Interestingly Pepe, who is yet to score a goal for Arsenal after five league and one Europa League games, albeit is expected to start in Sunday's match against Aston Villa.
Osimhen is under contract until the summer of 2024 at the French club.
Photo Credit : losc.fr
Football News 24/7
- Paris St. Germain Reportedly Interested In Manchester United Striker Ighalo?
- Manchester City Keeping Tabs On 'Raheem Sterling-Like' Nigerian Winger Alli
- Racing Genk's Dessers, Club Brugge's Dennis Suffer Training Ground Injuries
- Official : TSV Hartberg Loan In Ex-Golden Eaglets Skipper Tijani From Red Bull Salzburg
- Crystal Palace Thrashing Out Terms With Queens Park Rangers For 11.9B-Rated Midfielder Eze
- 'England Is A Strong Possibility' - Stoke City, West Brom Handed Boost In Pursuit Of Chelsea Legend
- Ex-Nigeria U17 Dazzler Amoo Named In Hammarby Matchday 18 But Won't Make Full Debut
- Super Eagles Target Trains With Bayern Munich In Lagos Ahead Of Barcelona Clash
- 'He's Definitely A Concern For The Weekend' - Rangers Coach Gerrard Confirms Balogun Is Injured
- Japanese-Nigerian Nduka; Rangers' Aribo; Mjallby's Ogbu; Kyoto Sanga's Utaka On Target
- African Players Transfers
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football