EPL Wrap : Iwobi & Ndidi Shine; Iheanacho, Balogun, Success Not In 18; Solanke StartsPublished: October 19, 2019
A round-up of Nigerian players that were in action for their respective clubs in the English Premier League on Saturday, October 19.
Nigerian players with dual nationalities and have played competitively for the senior national teams of other countries have been omitted.
In the early kickoff, Alex Iwobi started and was in action for 87 minutes as Everton returned to winning ways by beating West Ham 2-0 at Goodison Park thanks to goals from Bernard and Gylfi Sigurdsson.
At the Vitality Stadium, it ended goalless between Bournemouth and Norwich City.
Dominic Solanke and Philip Billing started for the Cherries. The former Denmark U21 international played the full game and the striker was involved for 63 minutes.
Canaries goalie Tim Krul had to make a top save to deny Solanke from finding the net from close range with half an hour gone.
Aston Villa came from behind to beat Brighton & Hove 2-1 at Villa Park. Leon Balogun has to wait for his first appearance in the English top-flight this season as he was left out of the matchday 18 for the umpteenth time.
Adam Webster opened the scoring for the visitors in the 21st minute but Grealish leveled for the hosts from close range just before half-time, then a late goal from Matt Targett saw Villa grab all three points at the death.
At Stamford Bridge, Chelsea needed a 73rd minute strike from Marcos Alonso to secure all three points against Newcastle United.
Fikayo Tomori played the full game and helped goalkeeper Kepa to post a shutout for the second time in three games. He was yellow carded in first-half stoppage time
Leicester City have moved to second in the provisional standings after a controversial 2-1 win against Burnley at the King Power Stadium.
While Wilfred Ndidi went the distance for the Foxes, teammate Kelechi Iheanacho was left out of the 18 yet again.
Leicester were level at the breaks thanks to Jamie Vardy, who cancelled out Chris Wood's 26th minute opener, before Youri Tielemans put the home team ahead with a powerful strike in the 74th minute.
VAR will surely make the headlines after Burnley's equaliser was chalked off in the closing stages.
Spurs got away with a 1-1 draw against Watford at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium. Abdoulaye Doucoure's sixth minute goal was cancelled out by Dele Alli four minutes from time.
Hornets pair Isaac Success (rehabilitation) and Tom Dele-Bashiru (tactical) were not in the traveling party to North London.
Photo Credit : lcfc.com
Football News 24/7
- Super Eagles Playmaker Nominated For Everton's Player And Young Player Of The Season Awards
- 'A Good Start For A Defender' - Osho Thrilled To Help Reading Keep Back-To-Back Clean Sheets
- Confirmed : Arsenal's Nigerian-Born Center Back Extends Loan Deal With Cork City
- Glasgow Celtic Fans Call For Super Eagles Star's Summer Acquisition
- Nigeria-Eligible Midfielder Reveals Arsenal Beat Chelsea, West Ham To His Signature
- Confirmed : Blackpool Snap Up Former Flying Eagles Center Back
- 'I Haven't Heard Anything About Club Brugge' - English Manager Dismisses Kadiri's Link With Belgian Champions
- Samuel Chukwueze: Nigeria's Next Big Soccer Star?
- Two Italian Clubs Rivaling West Ham, Everton For Ex-Chelsea Star
- Super Eagles Striker Tests Positive For Coronavirus After Returning From Nigeria
- African Players Transfers
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football