'We Have One Of The Fastest Players In La Liga' - Chukwueze's Bench Role Baffles Spanish Football ExpertPublished: December 01, 2019
Valencia secured three points in the derby at the Estadio de Mestalla on Saturday night, beating Villarreal 2-1 thanks to Ferran Torres' game-winning goal after 69 minutes.
Rodrigo Moreno opened the scoring for the home team four minutes after the restart, only for Cameroon midfielder Andre Zambo Anguissa to restore parity on 54 minutes, his first goal at senior level since his move to Europe in 2014.
Samuel Chukwueze came on in the 63rd minute as a replacement for Toko Ekambi and had an impact in the game.
Just before the start of the 2019-2020 season, the Nigeria international switched jersey number to 11, an indication that he was being considered for a starting spot by manager Javi Calleja but this has not been the case, having made only seven starts from a possible 15 in La Liga.
Given his qualities and reputation of being one of the fastest players in La Liga, Spanish football journalist Toni Padilla is baffled over Chukwueze's bench role.
Asked if Chukwueze impressed after coming off the bench, Padilla said on La Liga TV : ''Yes, Samuel Chukwueze is a really fast player and he broke the defence of Valencia. It was really a beautiful game, maybe crazy game if you are in the stands. A lot of chances.''
He added : ''I was surprised he didn't start because he's a player that you'll imagine he will play from the first minute. We have one of the fastest players in La Liga, bring him on and let him play.''
Despite spending only 27 minutes, Chukwueze completed 6 dribbles, more than any other Villarreal player, played three shots and made one key pass, according to stats from Whoscored.
Photo Credit : villarrealcf.es
Football News 24/7
- Super Eagles Striker Tests Positive For Coronavirus After Returning From Nigeria
- 'Next Lukaku', Two Other Nigerian Prospects Sign New Crystal Palace Contracts
- Chelsea-Owned Wing-back Victor Moses Extends Loan Deal With Inter Milan Until August 2020
- Arsenal Rising Star Olayinka Looks Up To Thierry Henry; Chelsea Winger Best Player He's Faced
- Official : Promising Center Back Extends Hamburg Contract By Three Additional Years
- Liverpool Icon Gerrard Running The Rule Over Three Nigeria-Eligible Young Stars Led By Aribo
- Nigeria U23 Invitee To Miss Midtjylland's Potential Title-winning Match Vs FC Copenhagen
- Oliseh-Like Midfielder Azeez Open To Representing Nigeria; Spain Woo Arsenal's Next Big Thing
- Africa Cup Of Nations Winner Wants Nigeria To Beat England To Arsenal Superkid Saka
- 'Saka's Movement Was Magnificent' - Ian Wright Lauds Arsenal Kid With A Midas Touch For Assist
- African Players Transfers
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football