Rangers' Joe Aribo On Why He Chose Nigeria Over England; Best Position; Inheriting Mikel's No 10 Shirt & MorePublished: December 06, 2019
In an interview with the Super Eagles Media Team via YouTube, Glasgow Rangers star Joe Aribo discussed a variety of topics regarding the national team.
One of the subjects the London-born midfielder touched on was his decision to pledge his international future to Nigeria over England.
Explaining why he chose the Super Eagles, Aribo said : ''I think it is the love of playing for your home nation, there is just so much love there and you receive so much love so that's one thing that drove me to wanting to play for Nigeria''.
Aribo can play several roles in midfield and he has spoken about his best position on the pitch.
''Definitely box-to-box midfielder, I'd say that's the best one for me because I like to get up the pitch and use my energy in the game.''
The 23-year-old admitted that he was below par during his competitive debut in a 2021 Africa Cup of Nations qualifier against Benin last month but hailed the team for picking up three points after a slow start.
''I wouldn't say I was at my best but it was definitely a good overall team performance. I'd say we started slow but once we got into the game we showed what we are capable of doing and what we can do as a team''.
On the Nigerian players that inspired him to choose the Super Eagles over the Three Lions, Aribo said : ''I'd say Jay-Jay Okocha and even Odemwingie, I used to really enjoy watching him when I was growing up.''
The question of inheriting the Super Eagles number 10 jersey previously worn by John Obi Mikel was also put to Aribo.
And he replied : ''It's a big honour and it's a challenge I am willing to take, I see it as a challenge to do what they as number 10s have done in the past and I just want to be able to show what I can do in the game.''
Football News 24/7
- Victor Osimhen Watches Magical Messi Inspire Barcelona To Win Against Napoli
- Ex-Nigeria Coach Jo Bonfrere Reveals He Has Yet To Collect Gold Medal 24 Years After Olympics
- Photo : Ex-Nigeria U17 Star, Akinkunmi Amoo Flies Out To Sweden To Link Up With Hammarby
- The Reason Zirkzee Was Not In Bayern Munich's Squad Vs Chelsea In Champions League
- Nigeria-Eligible Midfielder Named In Bayern's Matchday Squad Vs Ex-Club Chelsea; Zirkzee Snubbed
- Former Tottenham Whizkid Madueke Scores Hat-trick For PSV First Team In Pre-season Friendly
- Four Goals In One Game : Kyoto Sanga's Utaka Still Terrorising Defences At The Age Of 36
- Khimki Brand New Signing Bryan Idowu Makes Competitive Debut Against CSKA Moscow
- 12 Goals In 13 Games: Valmiera's Arokodare Continues Scoring Spree With First Career Hat-trick
- QPR Ahead Of Middlesbrough In Race For Tottenham Hotspur's Super Eagles-Eligible Midfielder
- African Players Transfers
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football