Nigerian Strikers Under The Spotlight As Club Brugge Face Real Madrid In Champions LeaguePublished: December 10, 2019
Real Madrid will make a trip to Jan Breydel Stadium on Wednesday for their last UEFA Champions League group stage game, with little riding on their own eventual outcome from the clash with their hosts, Club Brugge — of course they are all but assured of finishing second tomorrow's result notwithstanding.
But the Blue-Black club harbour aspirations of their own, and this game could come in handy.
Philippe Clement's charges are still within a shouting chance of qualifying for the secondary European competition that is the Europa league as they sit in third on the group table, a point above basement side Galatasaray.
Clement has since lauded his side's doggedness and mentality in their 1-1 draw last time out versus Gala in the competition, a game which featured a late, late goal from his team to keep them firmly in their quest to continue to play European football next year.
They will however, come even under severe test to achieve their ambitions with the visit of Los Blancos, and the onus could fall on their Nigerian duo of Emmanuel Bonaventure and David Okereke to help see them through.
The former has already proved the scourge of Zinedine Zidane's team, scoring twice in a 2-2 draw with the opposition at the Spanish capital in October, and yet again he is sure to come under the limelight here.
Both have showed flashes of their brilliance in diverse measures for the club this season, and have a combined total of 15 goals for the season, but will be required to produce better.
But it is worrying that they are currently embroiled in some sort of goal drought — Okereke has yet to find the net in his last seven matches across all competitions since scoring in a league game versus Kortrijk, while his compatriot has fired blanks in eight games, last scoring against Gent on October 6, so this game offers an illustrious opportunity for these two to grab a chance and end their dip.
It even helps that a goal or two could prove decisive with the state of things in the group now, and will be important for any of them to end the year on a high.
Photo Credit : clubbrugge.be
Football News 24/7
- Five Nigeria-Eligible Youngsters Train With Arsenal First Team Pre-Chelsea
- Wenger's Former Pupil Reckons It Will Be Difficult For Arsenal To Attract Quality Players Next Season
- Official : Moldovan Champions Sheriff Tiraspol Sign Faith Obilor
- 'He'll Stay Here To Train' - Everton Boss Reveals Iwobi Won't Be Risked Vs Newcastle United
- 'He's Obviously Coming Back' - Lampard Confirms Moses Is Returning To Chelsea With A View To Another Move
- (Photo) Rohr Runs The Rule Over Bordeaux's Super Eagles Stars Monday Training Session
- Top Four Nigerian Players' Transfers So Far In The January Transfer Window
- Busquets, Rakitic, Vidal Outshine Granada's Azeez In Midfield As Barcelona Set Two Season Highs
- Chelsea Coach Of Nigerian Descent Touted To Join Mikel, Nwakaeme At Trabzonspor
- Jesse Sekidika Reacts After Making Competitive Debut For Turkish Champions Galatasaray
- African Players Transfers
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football