2019 CAF Awards Shocker : Nkwocha Snubs Oshoala In Voting Top 3; Kanu Ranks Arsenal Captain Ahead Of IghaloPublished: January 08, 2020
In the aftermath of the CAF Awards 2019, the Confederation of African Football has released the breakdown of the votes, allnigeriasoccer.com reports.
The voting panel consisted of CAF Technical & Development Committee, Media Experts, Legends, head coaches/technical directors and captains of the senior national teams from CAF's member associations.
Liverpool winger Sadio Mane won the main prize, the African Player of the Year, tallying 477 points to place first ahead of teammate Mohamed Salah (325 pts) and Manchester City's Algeria star Riyad Mahrez (267 pts).
In the first phase of voting, legends were instructed to make five selections with the first place receiving five points, second place four points, third place three points, fourth place two points and their fifth nomination one point.
Two-time African Footballer of the Year, Nwankwo Kanu, went for Sadio Mane as his first pick, Mahrez in second place, Arsenal captain Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang third, Mohamed Salah fourth and chose his countryman Ighalo as the fifth best player in Africa.
For the Women's Player of the Year, the Arsenal legend voted for Oshoala, Ajara Nchout, Christina Thembi Kgatlana, Tabitha Chawinga and Gabrielle Ouguene in that order.
Strangely, Super Falcons icon Perpetua Nkwocha, who has won the POTY a record four times, opted not to include Asisat Oshoala among her top three picks, going for Ajara Nchout, Tabitha Chawinga, Gabrielle Ouguene as her first, second and third pick respectively, while the Barcelona striker was only her fifth choice.
Oshoala is now tied with Nkwocha for the most Player of the Year wins after clinching her latest award on Tuesday.
For the African Player of the Year (Men), the Nigeria coach and captain voted for Sane, Salah and Mahrez; and in the Women's category, the Super Falcons captain and coach opted for Oshoala, Nchout and Kgatlana.
Photo Credit : fcbarcelona.com
- Transfer guru reveals why Man Utd are pushing to sign Osimhen, price tag could increase
- 'Hopefully I can convince him' - England U21 boss to hold talks with Arsenal loanee Balogun
- Super Eagles invitee Aniagboso reveals Chelsea are one of his dream clubs; hails Omeruo, Uzoho
- Huddersfield LB still eligible for Nigeria after being unused sub for Equatorial Guinea in AFCONQ
- U23 AFCONQ fallout: NFF responsible for the failure of Olympic Eagles
- Osimhen's potential replacement : Royale Union Saint-Gilloise's Boniface should reject Napoli
- 'Just a pitch with grass' - Iwobi urges NFF to provide infrastructure to match Super Eagles ability
- 'Kane's not going on forever' - Arsenal legend Wright backs Balogun for England call-up
- Hungry Fenerbahce fullback Osayi-Samuel is Super Eagles' new shining light
- Former Chelsea defender reacts after becoming 16th most capped Super Eagles player
Football News 24/7
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Nigeria Betting Sites
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football