Uwakwe Opens Chelsea Account For 2019-2020 Season; Man City's Ogbeta Scores Own GoalPublished: January 11, 2020
In a Premier League 2 clash involving five players of Nigerian descent, Chelsea beat Manchester City 2-1 at
Electrical Services Stadium (Aldershot, Hampshire) on Saturday afternoon to extend their unbeaten start to the campaign.
Fit again midfielder Tariq Uwakwe started for the Blues, while former Flying Eagles invitee Fisayo Dele-Bashiru, goalkeeper Gavin Bazunu, Nat Ogbeta and substitute Felix Nmecha featured for the visitors.
Chelsea led 1-0 at the break thanks to Uwakwe, who was making his seventh appearance in this season's PL 2.
On 12 minutes, the former England U18 international started and finished off a move to score his first goal of the season in all competitions.
The home team doubled their lead after an Ogbeta own goal in the 68th minute, before Rogers headed home a corner to half the deficit with 18 minutes left on the clock.
Chelsea, who have 30 points from 14 games, travel to Everton in their next fixture on Friday, January 24.
Meanwhile, Nigeria U17 international Daniel Jinadu was impressive as West Ham recorded a 2-1 win against Chelsea U18 at the Little Heath Sports Ground this afternoon.
The Golden Eaglets star spent time at the Chelsea Academy before joining the Hammers Academy in December 2017.
Photo Credit : chelseafc.com
Football News 24/7
- Middlesbrough Coach Explains Why Akpom's Goal On Debut Will Do Him A World Of Good
- Tottenham Hotspur Hand Trial To Nigerian Defender Formerly With London Rivals Arsenal
- Chelsea Hero Mikel Provides Game-winning Assist For Stoke City In Win Vs Preston North End
- EPL Wrap : Eze Full Debut; Ajayi & West Brom Throw Away 3-0 Lead Vs Chelsea; Iwobi Subbed In; Ighalo Not In 18
- 'He'll Be A Great Asset For Us' - Wycombe Boss Admits Everton's Adeniran Was Signed To Replace Ofoborh
- Reading Running The Rule Over Released Man Utd Defender Nkwonta Ahead Of Potential Transfer
- Sodje's Nephew Scores First Competitive Hat-trick To Inspire Man City To 3-1 Win Vs Liverpool U18
- 1994 AFCON Winner Ekoku Blames Brighton's Poor Game Management For Loss To Man Utd
- First Squad Involvement For Chelsea's Attacking Fullback Abu In U18 Premier League
- 'He Is Playing Very, Very Well With Nigeria' - Rohr Backs Bordeaux's Kalu To Rediscover Form
- African Players Transfers
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football