Olowu Nets Maiden Goal As Arsenal, Everton Play Out 6-Goal Thriller PL2Published: January 13, 2020
Joseph Olowu netted his maiden goal for Arsenal U23s as they played out an entertaining 3-3 draw with Everton in a Premier League 2 Division One match staged at Haig Avenue (Southport, Merseyside) on Monday night.
Joining the Ibadan-born defender in Arsenal's starting line-up were midfielder James Olayinka and striker Folarin Balogun, while defenders Tobi Omole and Daniel Oyegoke were named on the bench.
The central defender gave Arsenal the lead in the 17th minute, scoring with a deflected header from a corner kick.
But the two teams were level at the break as Ellis Simms scored a brace to make it 2-1 before Olayinka poked the ball past goalkeeper João Virginia to level maters with two minutes left in the half.
The Gunners fell behind again in the 74th minute after Gibson scored with a header and Everton appeared to be on their way to their fifth win of the season, only for Matthew Smith to draw Arsenal level after he was set up by Olayinka.
Olowu was replaced by Omole at half-time and it is unclear at this point whether it was tactical or an injury-enforced substitution.
The 20-year-old has committed his international future to Nigeria over England and was in the frame to train with Nigeria's U23 National Team in 2019 but his invitation was withdrawn due to passport issues.
He is not age-eligible for the 2024 Olympic Games and will be hoping to represent the Super Eagles in the future.
Photo Credit : arsenal.com
Football News 24/7
- Australia Legend Cahill Names Yakubu Among Amazing Group Of Everton Players Assembled By Moyes
- French Goalkeeper Highlights Five Attacking Qualities Of The 'New Drogba', Victor Osimhen
- Botafogo Prefer Signing Mikel Over Toure As Former Barcelona Star Makes Fresh Contact
- Nigerian Federation Chief Pinnick Likens Arsenal's Saka To A Goldfish With No Hiding Place
- Amaju Pinnick Insists Rohr Must Bow To NFF Demands Before He's Offered New Contract
- Ighalo Names Two Manchester United Legends He Modeled His Game After
- Ex-Liverpool Star Who Wants To Play For Nigeria Named To League One Team Of The Season So Far
- Monaco-Owned Winger Onyekuru Makes Decision About His Future
- Top Five Youngest Nigerian-Born Players To Debut In The English Premier League
- Omeruo Hints Of Preference To Void La Liga As Leganes Struggle To Beat Relegation
- African Players Transfers
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football