Rohr Gives Two Reasons For Victor Moses Retiring From National Team; Names Ighalo's Heir; Contract UpdatePublished: January 25, 2020
Super Eagles coach Gernot Rohr granted an interview lasting approximately one hour to French radio station RIG, 90.7 FM, Bordeaux on Wednesday and spoke about a number of topics, including his contract situation with the Nigeria Football Federation and the retirement of three of his biggest stars Victor Moses, John Obi Mikel and Odion Ighalo.
The former Bayern Munich defender gave two reasons why Inter Milan wing-back Moses called time on his international career and believes he has found Ighalo's heir and players with the same attributes as Mikel.
In quotes carried by Bordeaux dedicated website Girondins33, Rohr said : "We no longer have a big star, because John Obi Mikel retired, that Victor Moses also retired for family and age reasons in particular ... and even our top scorer, Odion Ighalo , declared his retirement after the AFCON 2019.
"We managed to find a scorer with Victor Osimhen , and other playmakers: we have Samuel Chukweze who plays at Villarreal , the little Samuel Kalu from Bordeaux who plays very very well with us - one of the best every time he plays with Nigeria - so we have a very, very young, promising team, and I might like to continue."
On his contract imbroglio with the Nigerian Federation, Rohr revealed that talks have been scheduled to begin next month ahead of the resumption of the 2021 Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers.
The Franco-German said : "We will see the leaders soon. It is planned for the month of February and possibly for before the matches of the month of March for the qualification in African Cup of Nations.
"Perhaps we could agree to continue the adventure with Nigeria".
Bordeaux's all-time record appearance holder in the French top-flight, Rohr has been coaching the Super Eagles since 2016 and qualified the national team for the 2018 World Cup and last summer's AFCON.
Football News 24/7
- 'Giggs, Bergkamp, Scholes Used To Give Those Passes' - Van Persie Compares Saka To Man Utd, Arsenal Legends
- 'They Scored A Goal We Shouldn't Concede' - Man Utd Star On Dennis' First Half Strike
- (Photo Confirmation) Arsenal's Nigerian Wonderkid Joins Scottish Giants Rangers
- Leicester City Provide Ndidi Injury Update That Will Worry Super Eagles Fans, Rohr
- Manchester United Name Super Eagles Striker As One Of The Three Key Players In Club Brugge Team
- NPFL Club Heartland Slapped With A Two-Window Transfer Ban By LMC
- Nigeria U23 Star Scores First Competitive Goal Of Thierry Henry's Reign As Montreal Impact Coach
- 'I Have Grown Up Playing On The Left Or No 10'- Iwobi On Ancelotti's Tactical Genius
- Super Eagles Still Among Top Three Teams In Africa In New FIFA Rankings
- Arsenal Face Losing Exciting Teenager Saka If They Fail To Qualify For European Competition
- African Players Transfers
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football