Rohr Gives Two Reasons For Victor Moses Retiring From National Team; Names Ighalo's Heir; Contract UpdatePublished: January 25, 2020
Super Eagles coach Gernot Rohr granted an interview lasting approximately one hour to French radio station RIG, 90.7 FM, Bordeaux on Wednesday and spoke about a number of topics, including his contract situation with the Nigeria Football Federation and the retirement of three of his biggest stars Victor Moses, John Obi Mikel and Odion Ighalo.
The former Bayern Munich defender gave two reasons why Inter Milan wing-back Moses called time on his international career and believes he has found Ighalo's heir and players with the same attributes as Mikel.
In quotes carried by Bordeaux dedicated website Girondins33, Rohr said : "We no longer have a big star, because John Obi Mikel retired, that Victor Moses also retired for family and age reasons in particular ... and even our top scorer, Odion Ighalo , declared his retirement after the AFCON 2019.
"We managed to find a scorer with Victor Osimhen , and other playmakers: we have Samuel Chukweze who plays at Villarreal , the little Samuel Kalu from Bordeaux who plays very very well with us - one of the best every time he plays with Nigeria - so we have a very, very young, promising team, and I might like to continue."
On his contract imbroglio with the Nigerian Federation, Rohr revealed that talks have been scheduled to begin next month ahead of the resumption of the 2021 Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers.
The Franco-German said : "We will see the leaders soon. It is planned for the month of February and possibly for before the matches of the month of March for the qualification in African Cup of Nations.
"Perhaps we could agree to continue the adventure with Nigeria".
Bordeaux's all-time record appearance holder in the French top-flight, Rohr has been coaching the Super Eagles since 2016 and qualified the national team for the 2018 World Cup and last summer's AFCON.
Football News 24/7
- Australia Legend Cahill Names Yakubu Among Amazing Group Of Everton Players Assembled By Moyes
- French Goalkeeper Highlights Five Attacking Qualities Of The 'New Drogba', Victor Osimhen
- Botafogo Prefer Signing Mikel Over Toure As Former Barcelona Star Makes Fresh Contact
- Nigerian Federation Chief Pinnick Likens Arsenal's Saka To A Goldfish With No Hiding Place
- Amaju Pinnick Insists Rohr Must Bow To NFF Demands Before He's Offered New Contract
- Ighalo Names Two Manchester United Legends He Modeled His Game After
- Ex-Liverpool Star Who Wants To Play For Nigeria Named To League One Team Of The Season So Far
- Monaco-Owned Winger Onyekuru Makes Decision About His Future
- Top Five Youngest Nigerian-Born Players To Debut In The English Premier League
- Omeruo Hints Of Preference To Void La Liga As Leganes Struggle To Beat Relegation
- African Players Transfers
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football